Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted without SS?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I believe what casual_style may be alluding to is that some of these so-called stablizers are gas charged....a gas charged shock. They are constantly trying to expand with force. What you are really looking for a a stabilizer that has equal pressure in both expanding and contracting. IE...if you push the rod in and let go.....it's not expanding back out on it's own. You don't really want that stabilizer putting force on the tie rod. That is why the cheapest thing like the factory SS is just fine. It's really not doing any work except being the last piece of the puzzle in keeping the harmony in the system.

And correct. No lift kit is coming with a dual stabilizer. IIRC, you didn't buy that lifted from the dealer, which makes it abnormally strange that a dealer would have installed a dual stabilizer on it. I do see some dealers installing those around DFW, but it's always on jeeps they've lifted......which doesn't make it any better. They are still redonk.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I believe what casual_style may be alluding to is that some of these so-called stablizers are gas charged....a gas charged shock. They are constantly trying to expand with force.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOK
I’m looking at the Yeti HD tie rod and I emailed Yeti and they said I don’t need a SS with their TR. Anyone lifted and running without a SS?
Hey Mike,
I run the Yeti TR & drag link with no SS. You'll be fine
You're welcome to drive mine next time we wheel together.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by BlueBaby
Hey Mike,
For others' future benefit, you should clarify if the yeti DL you run is the full DL with the Griffin attenuator or the Yeit 26 (knuckle end only) as the attenuator is a pretty different design from the DL's most people run. Obviously many are fine running with a normal DL and no SS, but that griffin attenuator makes a difference on it's own.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

For others' future benefit, you should clarify if the yeti DL you run is the full DL with the Griffin attenuator or the Yeit 26 (knuckle end only) as the attenuator is a pretty different design from the DL's most people run. Obviously many are fine running with a normal DL and no SS, but that griffin attenuator makes a difference on it's own.
No attenuator. The full drag link, bottom mount and the tie rod.
I ran the attenuator on the stock drag link and I'm a fan, will likely add it at a later date.

At first I tried the cheaper FOX SS, but it pushed too much for my liking. Been running over a year with no SS, no issues. 37x13.5x17 tires.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBaby
Hey Mike,
Hey Blue, I didn’t know you were a member here too. I’m a little more active here than at wranglerforum. Both are great forums but there’s a little more traffic there. About the TR, I have the teraflex coming tomorrow. I’ve read lots of pro’s and cons about running dual SS’s. I ran mine with one of them taken off and I really didn’t notice any difference at all. It’s ugly with the one only, kinda looks like something is missing. After I get the TR on I think I might try it first with no SS. Teraflex told me theirs was designed for no SS at all. Not sure if I believe that or not. It makes me wonder though, what would it hurt to run two?
Old 10-12-2017, 05:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MikeOK
It makes me wonder though, what would it hurt to run two?
You're not "hurting" anything per se, but it's not necessary. What running 2 WILL do is mask issues. When I have a bad joint or a loose bolt in the system somewhere, I want to know immediately. I want to feel the symptoms as soon as possible so I can get it diagnosed and corrected. Having 2 stabilizers is going to mask these symptoms longer, that's all. If you were getting added benefit from having two SS.....like the benefit you get from hydro assist, then the benefit outweighs the fact it's harder to to spot a bad component. A dual SS really just doesn't add any benefit and isn't necessary.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You're not "hurting" anything per se, but it's not necessary.
The only "hurt" will be felt in the wallet.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My caster and alignment is great, I have it checked every once in awhile, but if I run without an SS on the highway and go over a large bump or uneven ground, I'm getting nasty bumpsteer (which is what the SS is supposed to combat, right?). After one butt-pucker moment at 75 MPH, I went straight to the store for a new SS. Is it just me?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Erok
My caster and alignment is great, I have it checked every once in awhile, but if I run without an SS on the highway and go over a large bump or uneven ground, I'm getting nasty bumpsteer (which is what the SS is supposed to combat, right?). After one butt-pucker moment at 75 MPH, I went straight to the store for a new SS. Is it just me?
Sounds to me like you have a bad joint somewhere. You shouldn’t be getting bumpsteer or wobble. The SS is not there to eliminate that stuff…..you just shouldn’t be experiencing it at all.

Quick Reply: Lifted without SS?