Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted without SS?

Old 10-12-2017, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
The only "hurt" will be felt in the wallet.
Man ain’t that the truth! I have about $7k invested in aftermarket parts now. I could build a small house for what I have in this thing.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOK
Man ain’t that the truth! I have about $7k invested in aftermarket parts now. I could build a small house for what I have in this thing.
$7K? Come talk to me when you get to about 10 times that. You're just getting started.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Yup, and not to depress you.....but you're likely not done bleeding money yet.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Sounds to me like you have a bad joint somewhere. You shouldn’t be getting bumpsteer or wobble. The SS is not there to eliminate that stuff…..you just shouldn’t be experiencing it at all.
I mean, that's the thing. I've inspected everything. I've had the mechanic check everything. Nothing's bent. Angles are good (track bar and drag link are parellel, caster is correct, etc). Joints are all good, trackbar mount is not wallowed out.

But when I drove a few months without an SS, it was fine 99% of the time, but when I got the harmonic balance just right by hitting a bumpy road at just the right speed, things got interesting in a pants-crapping way.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m on 37’s and a 3.5”lift. It drives like a dream. I wouldn’t worry about it. I run both the drag link and the tierod from Steer Smarts.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

She’s back to 100%. Man this TR is beefy. The stock was bent just like I suspected. I experimented with the SS’s, no difference between 1 and 2, but a little difference between 1 and none. So I now have only 1. With none it wasn’t bad, just on our rough county roads it would drift a bit.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

She’s back to 100%. Man this TR is beefy. The stock was bent just like I suspected. I experimented with the SS’s, no difference between 1 and 2, but a little difference between 1 and none. So I now have only 1. With none it wasn’t bad, just on our rough county roads it would drift a bit.
Those factory TR's just not up to the task of wheelin'. You should have peace of mind with that new on contacting a rock every now and then. Better joints an added bonus.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

I’m looking at the Yeti HD tie rod and I emailed Yeti and they said I don’t need a SS with their TR. Anyone lifted and running without a SS?
I only found out I destroyed mine when it became hard to steer all of a sudden. Removed it and never ran it since several years now. No problems. Lifted 2.5".

Quick Reply: Lifted without SS?