Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was lifting your brand new JK worth it?

Old 02-16-2017, 11:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was lifting your brand new JK worth it?

I traded in my 08 that had a lift, tires/wheels, bumpers, bolts, etc (all removed), for a 17 that was built exactly how I wanted (manual everything and 3.73 gears). But now I have a warrantee and a garage full of nice Jeep parts that I have nothing to do with; all of which seem to revolve around having my AEV 2.5" lift on.

I've read the treads about warrantees already, but for those of you that bought your new JK and turned around and lifted it, was it worth it? Do you wish you stayed stock? Or are you glad you went balls to the wall and stacked it?

I'm 50/50 on whether to start putting on all my crap again, or trying to continue selling it all off. A 2.5" AEV lift, expensive LoD bumpers, and newish wheels/tires combo is not easy to sell. Thanks for any insight.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I traded in a 09 Jk for a brand new 15 jku (I paid same price as a used 3.6). Within months It was lifted with 37s, etc. I too stripped my 09 down, I sold parts I wasn't going to swap over. I'm not sure what your more concerned about. If it's about keeping it stock to enjoy a stock jeep, then no. Do I regret buying a brand new jeep to build and take it straight to the hammers, no. I always wanted a brand new jeep. If it's about warranty... I only expect them to fix realistic stuff. so far my dealership has been solid.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm totally happy with buying and immediately lifting/modifying my brand new (in 2014) Wrangler. I've never fallen head over heels in love with a vehicle before this one. Now, I know what true love is. It is me and my Jeep. There will never be another love like this.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I bought a new 2016 jkr on Jan 31st and lifted it with 100 miles on the odometer. I will be headed to Moab with it on Feb 27th. I will have less than 500 miles on it when I leave for Moab. I did the same with my 2014 jkur and never had an issue.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to get all mushy and shit.

This jeep has taught me so much about modding a vehicle. I had the pleasure of building mine twice, due to bad decisions in the beginning from a lack of knowing anything jeep.

Got the first lift kit that was really readily affordable and went through all the horrors of its unnecessary height, and lack of formidable replacement parts to support the change in height.

Being as my JK is A 2007 it's been a long ten years, soon to be anyhow. If I did buy a new jeep I'd do it right the first time. But still it would be modified well just as I like my JK to be now.

Larry has a very nicely built JK. Can understand his love for his rig too, it's not ridiculous to say we all feel somehow connected to our jeeps. Hours and work put in, on your back and knees in the garage, all for this.

When I have hydro, big axles, and a v8? I MIGHT be done.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

No regrets in adding 35s, 3.5" lift and bumpers to my 17 Rubi within 2 days and 100 miles. I much prefer the look of a lifted Jeep especially in a four door format. Also do much less damage when crawling over rocks with a little extra height. Just do it right without using junk parts.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

yea I don't use junk parts. But there is the biggest issue with selling off my stuff; its very hard to sell an AEV 2.5" lift and get back anything relative to what its actually worth. Most people want to spend half of that and get a 4" kit. I was going to try to stay stock as long as I could, but now I debating whether its worth it. I absolutely will lift this jeep eventually. The only issue I had was really just the warrantee (yes I read many threads about that). I appreciate everyone's insight. Ive also never had brand a new vehicle, so throwing on a lift and drilling into the frame to mount the bumpers is tougher than I thought.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You put it all on and enjoy the vehicle. If the warranty issue is something you've genuinely caused then it's not a warranty issue at all. I did the work relatively quickly on my 2010 and don't regret it an ounce. It's more enjoyable like this than bone stock.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You put it all on and enjoy the vehicle. If the warranty issue is something you've genuinely caused then it's not a warranty issue at all. I did the work relatively quickly on my 2010 and don't regret it an ounce. It's more enjoyable like this than bone stock.
Well said. I'm leaning more towards stacking it up again.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a new Jeep because my wife wanted my to have a new vehicle. My only requirement was it has to be lifted and done right so it lasts. I had a 3.5" AEV Lift installed within 1000 miles. Almost 4 years later, I'm still happy about my decision. No warranty issues, but the jeep has been good to me so far. Do whatever makes you happy. Life is short.

Quick Reply: Was lifting your brand new JK worth it?