Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp mode after Rockjock 60 install

Old 09-26-2017, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Limp mode after Rockjock 60 install

So I just swapped in some Rockjock 60s out of a 2008 jku into my 2012. Now my ABS and traction control lights are on and I'm getting codes for "implausible wheel speed blah blah blah" and it's gone into limp mode a couple times. There was no issues in the 2008 and the sensors seem to be all plugged in correctly. Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2017, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tightdog
So I just swapped in some Rockjock 60s out of a 2008 jku into my 2012. Now my ABS and traction control lights are on and I'm getting codes for "implausible wheel speed blah blah blah" and it's gone into limp mode a couple times. There was no issues in the 2008 and the sensors seem to be all plugged in correctly. Any ideas?
Just to cover the basics since it wasn't mentioned, was the ECU programmed for the gear ratio and the rear does not have a non-selectable locker?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
Just to cover the basics since it wasn't mentioned, was the ECU programmed for the gear ratio and the rear does not have a non-selectable locker?
Programmed gear ratio and tire size with superchip. Has a ARB air locker in front and rear
Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen this if the steering wheel isn't/wasn't centered (more precisely on early models).
Old 09-26-2017, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fredrok
I've seen this if the steering wheel isn't/wasn't centered (more precisely on early models).
I centered the steering wheel as well.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

To be more specific, if the steering wheel wasn't secured at center (inside) while doing the work, it's easy to adjust the draglink to center the wheel when the clockspring actually isn't.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fredrok
To be more specific, if the steering wheel wasn't secured at center (inside) while doing the work, it's easy to adjust the draglink to center the wheel when the clockspring actually isn't.
I don't follow. If the wheels straight how can the clock spring not be?
Old 09-26-2017, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Don't know what all exactly you had apart in the process but your symptoms are classic for the wheel not being exactly centered. You mentioned you had a superchip, is there a wheel centering option on that like the Procal?

Nonetheless, this cut/paste explains a bit more:

Steering Wheel Centering Mode Description: The ESP system present on all newer Chrysler vehicles utilizes a digital sensor pack in the steering wheel to determine exactly where the user wants the vehicle to go. Disconnecting the steering, or replacing any of the related components (tie rod, front axle etc) can cause this module to become out of correlation with the wheels. To center the wheels with the steering system, the AEV ProCal can indicate to the user exactly where zero is on the internal sensor. By enabling the Steering Center mode, the ProCal module determines where the steering wheel is and lights up a corresponding turn signal lamp and turn signal indicator. If the wheel is too far to the right, the right indicator will light. If the wheel is too far to the left, the left indicator will light. If the steering wheel is stopped exactly dead center, the highbeam indicator and both turn signal lamps will light. Notes: This is a feature normally found in the dealer diagnostic tool. The ProCal module will allow the user to perform a proper alignment without having to use the dealer diagnostic tool. The only way to exactly correlate the wheels with the steering wheel is to complete the process on an alignment rack. If the function is not terminated properly the lights/indicators may remain stuck on or off. Be sure to exit the mode properly by enabling either turn signal before removing the module. If a clean exit does not occur, plug the module back in, enable the turn signals, and then remove the module. This can also be reset by removing and reconnecting the Positive (+) battery terminal.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Turns out one of the wheel speed sensors just went bad. $18 fix.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tightdog
Turns out one of the wheel speed sensors just went bad. $18 fix.
Glad to hear it. Easy (cheap) fixes are the ones you always want to have!

Quick Reply: Limp mode after Rockjock 60 install