Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration in steering wheel, pedal, and seat??

Old 10-22-2017, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in steering wheel, pedal, and seat??

I got in a front end collision recently and ever since then I have felt a vibration. I really feel it when the rpms are higher and the jeep changes gears. I thought it was my front drive shaft because the boot was ripped open and grease was everywhere underneath my jeep. I replaced it with a Tom Woods front drive shaft and I still seem to have the same vibration. Motor and trans mounts have been checked. I have a small exhaust leak but I’m not sure this is causing it? Any help would appreciated
Old 10-22-2017, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Did you drive it when the front driveshaft was removed? What is the caster?
Old 10-22-2017, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apjk1
I got in a front end collision recently and ever since then I have felt a vibration. I really feel it when the rpms are higher and the jeep changes gears. I thought it was my front drive shaft because the boot was ripped open and grease was everywhere underneath my jeep. I replaced it with a Tom Woods front drive shaft and I still seem to have the same vibration. Motor and trans mounts have been checked. I have a small exhaust leak but I’m not sure this is causing it? Any help would appreciated
Get your tire rebalanced too since you had a collision in front. Sounds odd but my neighbor had same thing and it did the trick.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bfdfreddie
Get your tire rebalanced too since you had a collision in front. Sounds odd but my neighbor had same thing and it did the trick.
I replaced that tire with the spare. The problem is I feel the vibration when I'm not even moving..
Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You might have a broken motor mount. If you can feel it when not moving that would be my guess.

R/
Will
Old 10-23-2017, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I agree with Will. I know your original post says you checked the motor mounts, but if you're feeling vibration without even moving (per your last post), then it's something other than driveline issues, and the most common thing would indeed be motor mount.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Did you drive it when the front driveshaft was removed? What is the caster?
I drove it for a day without the driveshaft and the vibration was still there. I will have to double check my caster when I get home. From what I can tell the vibration seems to be coming from somewhere around the oil pan.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canvas
You might have a broken motor mount. If you can feel it when not moving that would be my guess.

R/
Will
Originally Posted by resharp001
I agree with Will. I know your original post says you checked the motor mounts, but if you're feeling vibration without even moving (per your last post), then it's something other than driveline issues, and the most common thing would indeed be motor mount.

Thanks guys, I will double check the motor mounts and may just go ahead and replace them.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look for torn rubber at the engine mounts from under. most likely it's the trans mount though, those are easily tweaked in accidents. from the side look at the rubber part, it should be straight up and down, not slanted
Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by nuke-blue
look for torn rubber at the engine mounts from under. most likely it's the trans mount though, those are easily tweaked in accidents. from the side look at the rubber part, it should be straight up and down, not slanted
Friend of mine rear-ended another vehicle a couple years ago and he had to replace motor and transmission mounts due to vibration.

Quick Reply: Vibration in steering wheel, pedal, and seat??