JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Loctite Differential Cover (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/loctite-differential-cover-328502/)

shabbernigdo 12-05-2015 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by JK08MCS (Post 4166299)
Update, went to the dealer and asked if they would honor the drivetrain warranty. Mentioned he'd take pictures and submit it to the manufacture. Then went on to tell me it would probably take a week for them to complete it.

That was a deal killer, so went on down the road to see about parts (Bearings2seals) to do it myself. The price was $250.00 total for parts and figure it would be a 2 day job for myself.

Then my third option, went on to 4Wheel Parts and they could do it in a day without the stress of me doing it right the first time for $700.00.

It's my daily driver and putting on the currie control arms, made me have second thoughts on the warranty route :doh:

PS; Thought of using the cut out gasket maybe the reason for the bolts working themselves free. RTV from here on out

Nah the gasket wouldent be an issue unless maybe you used just the gasket and no rtv at all. Even then then if you tightened the bolts properly they shouldent normally back out.

JK08MCS 12-06-2015 04:37 PM

"Nah the gasket wouldent be an issue unless maybe you used just the gasket and no rtv at all. Even then then if you tightened the bolts properly they shouldent normally back out."

Yeah, just being allen bolts without rtv, the flexing of the differential housing was backing the bolts out, This is why I was thinking Blue Loctite.

DKJEEP 12-07-2015 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mack2 (Post 4164871)
Can't learn if you don't do it... It's not an impossible feat they do it every day, do your research and if it's not a daily driver go for it.

I own the tools and the knowledge. I would say it's near impossible to do right without the right tools and I'm not talking about hand tools.

mack2 12-07-2015 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by DKJEEP (Post 4166772)
I own the tools and the knowledge. I would say it's near impossible to do right without the right tools and I'm not talking about hand tools.

I'm not suggestion it be done without the proper tool

101gargoyles 12-07-2015 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by JK08MCS (Post 4166578)
"Nah the gasket wouldent be an issue unless maybe you used just the gasket and no rtv at all. Even then then if you tightened the bolts properly they shouldent normally back out."

Yeah, just being allen bolts without rtv, the flexing of the differential housing was backing the bolts out, This is why I was thinking Blue Loctite.

Am I to understand that a cast iron differential housing flexes. And that can
cause a cap gasket leak?
OH PULEEEASE.
Not on this planet.
Sounds like improper cap installation. Just Google bolt torque sequence and enter the number of bolts. Will show order of operation. Try it as is before starting again from scratch.

DKJEEP 12-08-2015 11:49 AM

Just a guess but aluminum expands quite a bit when heated. Much more than iron or steel. A shot in the dark is that the aluminum cover is making the bolts loosen as it heat cycles and expands and contracts with temp change over and over.

JK08MCS 12-08-2015 06:56 PM

Am I to understand that a cast iron differential housing flexes. And that can
cause a cap gasket leak?

Did I say "cap"? lol.

PS Update: It wasn't the pinion bearings, it was the gears. So I went ahead and regeared 4:56 for the 35's ($2k)