Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOD Destroyer Series Rock Sliders

Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb LOD Destroyer Series Rock Sliders

Greetings fellow Jeep lovers! We here over at LOD Offroad have been working hard to bring you the new Destroyer Series! Having already produced front and rear/tire carrier bumpers, we will soon be releasing the 2017 Jk Jeep Destroyer armor steps! They will feature a solid mounting system, must-have features such as no-slip tread steps, and even available options such as integrated courtesy lights! Here are some prototype photos from the fab shop Let us know what you think!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170113_154722.jpg
Views:	2437
Size:	565.8 KB
ID:	664752Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170113_160540.jpg
Views:	1752
Size:	513.3 KB
ID:	664753Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170113_171844.jpg
Views:	2620
Size:	873.6 KB
ID:	664754
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

So these look like they mount to the body mounts ala ACE? Is there anyother attaching points? I had ACE and currently have the LoD sliders and like the way the Lod sliders are mounted IMO much stronger.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

These will attach to the body via the three large bolts that hold the tub to the frame, as well as multiple points along the pinch weld. A compromise between frame welded and body mounted. Everyone will be able to weld them on technically so if someone wants to go that route they can choose to do so.

Originally Posted by jadmt
So these look like they mount to the body mounts ala ACE? Is there anyother attaching points? I had ACE and currently have the LoD sliders and like the way the Lod sliders are mounted IMO much stronger.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

They look good!!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

These look awesome! Can't wait to see a finished product mounted up
Old 01-18-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a really easy and clean way to add some frame connections to them. As the design is right now, I would not run them off-road. Here is why...

1. ACE body mount are known to have enough flex to run into the pinch seam and cause body damage.

2. Ace sliders provide a fairly large gap between the slider and pinch seam, so it at least limits the chance of that happening.

3. There is a ton of flex in the body mounts and bolts.

4. That flex is going to be transferred into a handful of mounting points at the pinch seam.

5. Even the best deigned boat sliders with attachments everywhere have resulted in substantial bending of the body sheet metal and even B-pillar.

Destroyer series is close - Pinch Seam Destroyer would be more accurate.

I am an LoD fan and have run and do run their products. That said, I strongly encourage some rethinking of the design and add a few frame tie-ins.

Last edited by Invest2m4; 01-18-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I see a really easy and clean way to add some frame connections to them. As the design is right now, I would not run them off-road. Here is why...

1. ACE body mount are known to have enough flex to run into the pinch seam and cause body damage.

2. Ace sliders provide a fairly large gap between the slider and pinch seam, so it at least limits the chance of that happening.

4. That flex is going to be transferred into a handful of mounting points at the pinch seam.

5. Even the best deigned boat sliders with attachments everywhere have resulted in substantial bending of the body sheet metal and even B-pillar.

I am an LoD fan and have run and do run their products. That said, I strongly encourage some rethinking of the design and add a few frame tie-ins.
x2 that was my thought. I did not like the way the ACE mounted and the frame mounted LoD's are tough way better. these look like they would be replacements for the Sahara steps but not real rock sliders. Maybe they will mount more solid than I think but still LoD has a proven mount system with their current sliders so why not at least incorporate some of that in these new ones.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Keep in mind that this is a prototype version, and we are experimenting with various mount systems currently because several buyers expressed a dislike towards having to drill the frame in order to mount. The frame square tubing mounts are indeed a stronger connection, one that seems to have never failed on anyone, no matter how hard they bashed themselves against boulders and trail obstacles.

That being said there are a few details in the new design not being disclosed here (partially the possible incorporation of other materials such as rubber so there are a few more tests to run before we make a decision on the mounts) As always, we appreciate your feedback, interest, and will take into consideration all the good points made here when we discuss the design again with the engineering department! Perhaps we can convince them that we should keep some design features from the old steps, eh?

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LōD Offroad
Keep in mind that this is a prototype version, and we are experimenting with various mount systems currently because several buyers expressed a dislike towards having to drill the frame in order to mount.
It is a little surprising that someone would have a problem drilling holes in the frame. There are already a ton there, so nothing wrong with a little more company to hangout with. If that is truly the case, then those people don't really need "rock sliders." Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure the percentage of modified Jeeps that don't see trails far exceeds those that do, so it is a big market.

That said, LoD is well known for making Jeep parts that are pure beef and essentially fail-proof. If you make a "rock slider" it has to stay true to your history and your brand. That is where your credibility is.

I am not suggesting you ignore the other customers who want a simple bolt-on product. So, you've already done most of the R&D, why not make two products out of one? Make one version as a bullet proof "rock slider" and a second version that is a "side step." The side step can easily cost less as you can use thinner steel and less reinforcement. You can probably do away with the pinch seam tie in as well if you wanted to.

Anyway, look forward to seeing the final product.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Finally!!! A product that looks like the OEM steps and are functional for off road rock slider body protection as well. A concept so simple, I'm surprised it took 9 years of the JK being in production before someone designed this product.

Thanks LOD for being the smartest product planning group in the room to figure out what a lot of us have been looking for instead of designing yet another set of stereo typical side step rock slider rails made from pipe tubing. I'm looking forward to seeing the production parts and it's availability!!!

I'll be happy to send you my address and pay for shipping, if you need someone to do some prototype sample testing in the rust belt.

P.S. Don't forget to make these in a length that we don't need to worry about our larger tires rubbing against them and/or making them so they can be trimmed down if needed. (ie don't make them like the OEM Enhanced Rubicon rock rails).

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-18-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: LOD Destroyer Series Rock Sliders