Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a long arm suspension more likely to get damaged playing in rock gardens?

Old 07-15-2017, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a long arm suspension more likely to get damaged playing in rock gardens?

Right now I have factory upper and lower control arms and I usually manage to bend one or two lower ones each year, so would a quality aftermarket lower control arm like an EVO be more likely to get damaged on rocky obstacles & hill climbs?

matthew
Old 07-15-2017, 04:52 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

IF you are bending short arms you are likely going to bend a long arm since they will still use the factory axle brackets. Maybe you should pick better lines.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
IF you are bending short arms you are likely going to bend a long arm since they will still use the factory axle brackets. Maybe you should pick better lines.
A couple were before I had the Dynatrac's and 37's and after I was a bit too aggressive

But in general there are obstacles where you have to get your front wheel over a large rock and where now the rock comes up and catches on the rock rail...but would it then come down on the long lower control arm instead?

How strong are the EVO control arms vs stock?

Matthew
Old 07-16-2017, 02:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

No need to focus on EVO. You're not gonna bend any of the aftermarket arms out there BEFORE you bend the the factory brackets.

That's what Dirtman is saying.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BoraBora
No need to focus on EVO. You're not gonna bend any of the aftermarket arms out there BEFORE you bend the the factory brackets.

That's what Dirtman is saying.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping, with the DTD, isn't there an option for weld on brackets for the LCA's?

matthew
Old 07-16-2017, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The lower control arms mount to the factory brackets on the axle. The upper mounts on their long arm has a high mount that give better clearance on the top end vs kits that hang the frame side down. I am working on a double throw down with lever rear right now on a 2016 4 door. Its a quality kit but far from simple as far as the install goes. Lots of cutting and grinding, even the new brackets require quite a bit of grinding to get good fitment, mainly the front towers. The only axle side brackets are replaced are track bar and lower shock mounts. Lower control arms still hang down like an anchor.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The lower control arms mount to the factory brackets on the axle. The upper mounts on their long arm has a high mount that give better clearance on the top end vs kits that hang the frame side down. I am working on a double throw down with lever rear right now on a 2016 4 door. Its a quality kit but far from simple as far as the install goes. Lots of cutting and grinding, even the new brackets require quite a bit of grinding to get good fitment, mainly the front towers. The only axle side brackets are replaced are track bar and lower shock mounts. Lower control arms still hang down like an anchor.
As always, thank you for the help and information, I've heard that the lever system can be high maintenance
Old 07-16-2017, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The lever adds some heim joints and some extra pivot points but not really a big deal in terms of more maintenance.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You will drag long arms over obstacles more than is the case with standard length. Depending upon the bracket design you'll smack them from time to time. Most of the ones I have experience with take it all in stride.

Quick Reply: Is a long arm suspension more likely to get damaged playing in rock gardens?