Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Range Fuel Tank & Dual Battery System

Old 06-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Gav
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Long Range Fuel Tank & Dual Battery System

I have recently got delivery of a 08 Black Rubicon Unlimited. I live in a a remote part of Western Australia. Im in need of a second fuel tank, as at times the closest petrol station can be 100's of kms away... Any suggestions in relation to installing a viable second long range fuel tank?

Secondly, any ideas about options for installing a second battery system? I have found out about portable systems, that can be isolated.

Cheers, Gav
Old 06-05-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Gav
I have recently got delivery of a 08 Black Rubicon Unlimited. I live in a a remote part of Western Australia. Im in need of a second fuel tank, as at times the closest petrol station can be 100's of kms away... Any suggestions in relation to installing a viable second long range fuel tank?

Secondly, any ideas about options for installing a second battery system? I have found out about portable systems, that can be isolated.

Cheers, Gav
Just a thought here, if you relocated the evap box, using Woods relocation kit, moved the muffler there, then that would leave the space where the muffler currently is for an additional tank.

As for the battery, I know many have expressed a wish for a dual battery system, but I have not seen anything come out yet.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think another Australian has done this mod.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ight=fuel+tank
Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gav

Cheers, Gav
I know that one guy down under, was using my kit to see if he could get the long ranger tank to fit in a gasoline JK. I have spoke with the guys at long ranger and I think they know about the test. Givem a shout.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Gav
JK Newbie

Default Sounds Great

There is so much great info in these forums, and cheers for all the ideas. The Long Ranger Tank sounds like the way to go, and yes outlay with cost will be around $2,000 AUS. But for me living in a remote area, and exploring is a must.

Cheers Guys
Old 06-10-2008, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

for a second battery I will say the best be would be a trunk mounted battery with an isolator switch from a boat. Get you a gel cell battery which doesn't vent like lead acid batteries.
http://www.starboardsupply.com/produ...cts_id/3005590
Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
I really want to do the second Long Ranger tank as well.... I want it when the Hurricanes come and you can't get gas here in FL.
Been there, done that.......Great idea..........
Old 06-11-2008, 12:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have yet to see a dual battery kit for the JK and since I don’t have my Jeep yet and I can’t remember how much space there is where the stock battery is mounted I’ll give you the best idea that I can think of. What I would recommend would be to take some measurements and try to figure out if a dual battery mount like this http://www.quadratec.com/products/17004_100.htm would fit then I would pick up two Optima yellow top batteries http://www.quadratec.com/products/17003_02.htm. I don’t know if you know anything about the Optima’s but they are a dry cell battery which means that they won’t leak anything; you could mount one upside down above your head without any worries that acid would leak on you (although I don’t recommend trying this, batteries are heavy ). They make different styles but the yellow top is a deep cycle battery meant for use with lots of accessories such as winches and lights so it is generally preferred by Jeep owners. Like I said this mount may not fit in a JK so make sure you get some measurements before you blow your hard earned money on a battery mount paper weight . - KY
Old 06-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Gav
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for all the great replys

Thanks for all the great replys! I have decided to go for the 68lt Long Ranger tank that mounts on the passenger side, and doesn't alter the clearance. With the second battery, I'm going to get a performance exhaust installed, being as straight out system is allowing me to have a custom tray mounted in the back; which i will have installed my second battery.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Jedi

Someone on here has already mounted a secondary battery......next to the factory one. I just can't remember which thread but it is on here....i'll try and find it !!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Long Range Fuel Tank & Dual Battery System