Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire tread depth variances

Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tire tread depth variances

Hi,
I have a JKU sitting on 40x13.5x17 Goodyear MTR Kevlars. These tires have over 80,000kms/5years on them and have been religiously rotated every 10,000kms and always aired to around 30psi(via chalk test) onroad. They still have some life left in them. I decided for the first time ever to measure tread depth with a gauge. I found that each tire had varying depths ranging from 8-12mm. Is this normal for these tires/4wd system?

For some reason the front passenger has an outer depth of about 6mm,middle depth about 8mm,inner depth of about 12mm. I checked my toe in and it was between 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. Front end is all Currie steering on a prorock60 with prosteer balljoints. Everything seems tight and it steers straight,no wobbles or pulls when braking. Not really sure what else this could be from. Could this happen from taking highway exits on the right hand side at high speed?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Tire tread depth variances