Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose steering question

Old 10-14-2017, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loose steering question

Have read through a bunch of threads and just want to make sure I understand.

2017 jk with Mopar Stage 1 lift. Running 33’s.

I get minor bump steer which isn’t a big deal. The steering wheel also seems loose or at least not as tight as what I am used to in other non lifted vehicles.

Would a steering stabilizer help “tighten” up the feel in the steering? From what I have read it really isn’t needed but just from a feel perspective, would it help?

As always, thanks for the input.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Mopar stage 1 2" lift
Got over 3.5" out of it
Is this accurate? What is the caster? The draglink is not flipped? Do you have a raised rear trackbar bracket?
Old 10-14-2017, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I looked up how to get an accurate measurement and I got exactly 3.5” of lift out of the kit. Dealer did it all before I picked it up new. I do not believe DL is flipped, how can I tell? I will need to look and see if the caster read out was in the paperwork I got. Other than what I call being a bit loose, it rides great.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

if it is flipped the drag link will be on top of the knuckle but I doubt you have one. make sure your track bar is torqued on both ends to 125ft/lbs. have our caster checked and make sure it is 4.5* or so.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

First thought for the light steering feel was low caster. If you have the kit I am looking at on quadratec, you have Cam Bolts installed? (big offset washers on the axle ends of the front lower control arms). Some shops do free alignment checks, wouldn't hurt to find one and get a printout of where you're at. (or grab an angle finder and get a ballpark yourself). If it turns out that the caster is low, it should be quick and easy to adjust the cams.

3.5" or so is where people start looking at draglink flips, as steep angles on the front trackbar and draglink are said to cause Bumpsteer. If it isn't bothering you, don't worry about it, was just asking so we know what you're working with.

Looks like the kit came with a raised rear trackbar bracket, which is good.

This writeup is geared toward shimmy/deathwobble, but it's a good resource to use to check components and verify that bolts are tight.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/

All that said, yes, a super heavy duty steering stabilizer might help to mask whatever the actual issue is, but you would be better off looking at other areas first.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it has the Cam bolts to adjust caster. I will look up how to check it myself and see where it’s at.

I have read the threads on death wobble, etc and I definitely don’t have that. The ride itself is great. No diving on breaking, center of gravity on turns is good. The kit I got installed was the one with the drive shaft and the tuned fox shocks.

Have been driving it for about 5 months now and started to wonder since I hit that 3.5” mark if there was anything else I should do.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2017, 03:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Right, I wasn't suggesting that you have shimmy/wobble, pointed out that thread as a good resource for checking that your joints are good and all bolts are tight, anything that might contibute to the steering feel.

In the same Write-ups area with that shimmy/wobble thread is one for a DIY alignment, which shows one way to check the caster. You can find it in both the Steering and the Troubleshooting areas of the Index. (It was moved a few years back, so just follow the links to it...)
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ite-ups-42710/
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Ugh, cam bolts. The real question is can you adjust those enough to accommodate what has turned in to a 3.5" lift. I can see those being a solution, albeit not a good one, for smaller 2-2.5" lifts, but you've netted much more actual lift than I'd presume originally intended. Can you adjust a cam bolt enough to get your caster back to where it needs to be is the real question?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

To your point. If it is off and I can’t get it back in to a decent spec. Do I take the Cam bolts out and put on geo correction brackets or leave the Cam bolts and put in a geo bracket?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

control arms loosen over time and that allows the cam bolts to shift. Pretty common problem. Track bars also loosen. people need to retorq suspension parts after a lift.

Quick Reply: Loose steering question