Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose steering question

Old 10-16-2017, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Millerca2
To your point. If it is off and I can’t get it back in to a decent spec. Do I take the Cam bolts out and put on geo correction brackets or leave the Cam bolts and put in a geo bracket?
If you can't adjust those cam bolts enough to achieve the desired caster, then yes, I would remove them and go with a geo bracket instead. That said, when they installed the cam bolts, they had to knock out adidtional space in your axle side CA bracketst. Those would need to be plugged up, but it seems recently someone had just posted a nice fix for doing just that. Can't recall but will see if I can locate it.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Ah, post #32 is what I was thinking of in this thread -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-343851/page2/

Really no different than welding some generic heavy duty washer in place.

It's still a welding situation, basically recreating the nice bolt hole again from the enlarged area knocked out for the cam bolt. That is one of the biggest issues going with a cam bolt to begin with as reversing the decision isn't as easy. That and they're more prone to failure when offroadin. Unfortunately most aren't fully aware until it's too late
Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

To your point. If it is off and I can’t get it back in to a decent spec. Do I take the Cam bolts out and put on geo correction brackets or leave the Cam bolts and put in a geo bracket?
Search on 'cam bolt eliminator'. Synergy and Teraflex sell them, I'm sure others do as well. As noted, they are basically just thick washers. You remove the cams, pop these over the enlarged holes (some people weld them, others don't), then install the arms and/or brackets.

But, cart before the horse, as it were. Check that low caster is the cause of the steering lightness before throwing money at it. Could end up being nothing more than over-inflated tires. (doubt it, but maybe a contributor.)
Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Search on 'cam bolt eliminator'. Synergy and Teraflex sell them, I'm sure others do as well. As noted, they are basically just thick washers. You remove the cams, pop these over the enlarged holes (some people weld them, others don't), then install the arms and/or brackets.

But, cart before the horse, as it were. Check that low caster is the cause of the steering lightness before throwing money at it. Could end up being nothing more than over-inflated tires. (doubt it, but maybe a contributor.)
That makes sense. Maybe that is what was pictured on that previous link but just couldn't see the other side of it. Would make sense at least.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The pic posted in that thread looks like a teraflex washer.

https://teraflex.com/file/attachment...33b3007081.pdf
Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Measured the caster and it is 6*. Of course this was with a level app on my iPhone but from what I have read, running 6* on a 3.5” lift is okay.

So, if everything is within tolerances. Should I just leave it alone. I don’t want to put on a SS if it will mask problems that may occur.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Measured the caster and it is 6*. Of course this was with a level app on my iPhone but from what I have read, running 6* on a 3.5” lift is okay.

So, if everything is within tolerances. Should I just leave it alone. I don’t want to put on a SS if it will mask problems that may occur.
That caster seems pretty high. Most of us are in the 4-5* range. It's one of those things that is a fine line....too little caster will leave you desiring more out of your steering, and too much can start to mess with the driveline. I'm going to guess that you have a pretty decent margin of error in that measurement with the app.

I was going back up and through the thread as a refresher....and it looks like DL is not flipped. If you're getting 3.5" of actual lift, doing a high steer kit (flipping DL) is gonna make a decent difference. I was without one for quite a while, and there was a significant improvement when I finally did flip it.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

That sounds high, I was under the impression that cams wouldn't give that much adjustment? So, I'll fall back on my previous suggestion to find an alignment shop that does free checks if you want some verification of the numbers.

But assuming 6 is correct, that should not be the cause of the steering looseness.

Lack of a Draglink Flip causing loose steering? Many people talk about bumpsteer from the steep angles. That was not my experience, though. I drove around for several years with about 4 inches of actual lift height and no flip. No bumpsteer, no looseness. What I noticed after flipping was a less jarring ride. I attributed it to bumps that had been travelling up the steeply angled bars, sort of like what people say about control arm brackets flattening those angles.

Quick Reply: Loose steering question