Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Oil Pressure

Old 01-19-2019, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lost Oil Pressure

Hope someone can help me out. I have a 2017 Jeep JKU that I was off-roading. While on the trail I lost oil pressure. It dropped to zero. Then a bad Knock came from the engine. I towed the Jeep home and let sit. Started it up and had better oil pressure and then it started to drop and Knock again. I checked the oil and it looks good. What could be causing the issue. I took to the local Jeep Dealer and they don't want to look at it because they say I was offroading. Not sure if this is something I can fix with new oil pump or sensor. Or is there something more. Any advise would be great.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Exclamation Lost Oil Pressure

Hope someone can help me out. I have a 2017 Jeep JKU that I was off-roading. While on the trail I lost oil pressure. It dropped to zero. Then a bad Knock came from the engine. I towed the Jeep home and let sit. Started it up and had better oil pressure and then it started to drop and Knock again. I checked the oil and it looks good. What could be causing the issue. I took to the local Jeep Dealer and they don't want to look at it because they say I was offroading. Not sure if this is something I can fix with new oil pump or sensor. Or is there something more. Any advise would be great.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Well, the knock probably indicates a Bearing is damaged.. A question why did you tell the dealer you were off roading? What mods do you have on ? Big Lift, Tires etc.. You stated you have a 2017 .. IMO the oil pump will not correct the knock...check the warranty and if the local dealer is not the selling dealer get back to your selling dealer- if the local is the selling, just off roading should not be reason not to honor the warranty;JEEP advertises showing them off road. the dealer should inspect and diagnose then determine if it is a failure that is or is not covered by warranty.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Take it to the dealer, should be under warranty.

Did you recently do an oil change? What did you use for oil and oil filter?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Presure, Knock

Sounds like as spun bearing in the old days you could remove the spark wires one at a time if the knock stopped that was the rod with the spun bearing this would cause the pressure to drop also
Old 01-20-2019, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree. Push the dealer harder. If they don't respond then start a case with higher ups. They advertise our jeeps for off-road, so they can't deny your claim unless it is ridiculously obvious abuse. Why did you even tell them you were off-roading? Just clean it up and take it to the dealer.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Agree with rob_engineer... unless you sucked water into your cylinders, I think you can push them to repair.

Quick Reply: Lost Oil Pressure