Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud clicking noise coming from front end

Old 02-14-2018, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud clicking noise coming from front end

i have an 08 jku with a 4'' bds lift and a few weeks ago my front end started clicking. it only happens when im going from a strait line and turn either direction. i took it in about a week ago and they replaced my bushings and my tie rods. then just a few days ago it came back and is louder than before. I can hear it when im driving and i can feel it. It feels like somethings out of place. What would be the fix to this? New track bar?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check your frame side trackbar mount. the holes my starting to elongate and causing the clicking. I had the same issue on my 2011 and that is what it is. I temp fixed it by tack welding the bolt and nut. I have the replacement parts on hand just need to get it to my welder.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yup... what Canvas said. Other thing could be an outer axle shaft u-joint going bad.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Can you please clarify.....when you turn, is it a constant "clicking", or is it more of a single "pop/click"? Does it change with increased speed? If it's a single "pop" type noise when you turn, that would lead me down the path of looking at the TB, starting by verifying torque on those bolts. Even an slightly undertorqued axle side bolt will get that thing poppiing. If the sound is constant, and especially if it changes with speed, I'd be looking at axle shaft u-joints. What "bushings" did they replace? Your TREs might have needed replacing anyhow, but that is not something that would typically cause a constant clicking sound.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hollyjku
i have an 08 jku with a 4'' bds lift and a few weeks ago my front end started clicking. it only happens when im going from a strait line and turn either direction. i took it in about a week ago and they replaced my bushings and my tie rods. then just a few days ago it came back and is louder than before. I can hear it when im driving and i can feel it. It feels like somethings out of place. What would be the fix to this? New track bar?
Mine was a sway bar end link being loose.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ATTAHO
Mine was a sway bar end link being loose.
Yes, this is a typical source of noise as well if not torqued. Usually that would be a single "pop" or "click" and commonly occur when things are even a little off camber.....for example, turning from flat road in to an uphill driveway or parking garage....where one wheel lifts higher than the other and the body rolls a bit. A good test for loose links is to just shake the heck out of the body side to side. Usually you can get that thing popping that way and pinpoint it quickly.

I've been through a lot of these little gremlins. LOL.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been going through the same thing.....I've been riding around with radio off and windows down for a month trying to find it. Paid a shop to keep it for a full day trying to find it and they came back with "absolutely nothing is wrong under that thing". Clicking comes and goes but it finally made me think it was going to strand me...took it into a different shop and in 5 mins the guy says your CV joints need replacing. He said the noise travels and makes you think it's in the front.....
He couldnt fix today but I'm trying to find out if I need to replace both or not. The back was the only one with play but he said change them both. Have an appt for next week. Do you have a lift? I have 2.5" and 285's but he said mine wasnt the angle, but normal wear. Jack up the back end, put it in drive and you might hear it coming from the driveshaft.....then see if the driveshaft has play in it.

Good luck. Jeep noises are insane to find. The first shop, that couldnt find the problem, said "I dont know how you think you hear a specific noise, everything rattles on that thing". Guessing they dont work on Jeeps much!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

SoCal73 - not sure about your area, but around DFW here you can often find a really nice if not brand new take off for less then you'd spend replacing both joints......in the $50-$100 range. For the cost of 2 TF repezza kits, better off just buying an aftermarket DS.

Quick Reply: loud clicking noise coming from front end