Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Low Tire Pressure" indicator after tire swap (stock rubi wheels)

Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Low Tire Pressure" indicator after tire swap (stock rubi wheels)

I'm betting this question has been asked a million times before, but figured I'd start a new thread to get input from forum members.

Installed 37's on stock Rubi wheels last night (2010 Rubi). Now I have the "low tire pressure" warning light appearing on my dash. I did install 1.5" wheel spacers. With the spacers on, I'm guessing the sensors in the wheels are too far away from the pick-ups at the axle, thus, making the computer think there is no sensor present (light on in dash).

Is this the case? How have others dealt with this? Is there a way to simply disable the low tire pressure sensors?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:22 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

how much air are you running? also, it isn't impossible that one of the sensors got damaged during install. it just takes one to be off.

oh, you can turn it off with a procal or superchips.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Haven't checked the individual tire pressures (yet), but tire pressure certainly isn't low. How to check for a damaged sensor? I could swap out one tire at a time with the spare to see if the indicator goes out. If it does, then I know I have a pooched sensor.

Would the 1.5" spacer distance affect the sensors?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

They have not with mine.
When I put the 33's on I had the TPMS sensors rebuilt.
They can and do get damaged when changing tires.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiCamp
Would the 1.5" spacer distance affect the sensors?
I don't believe so. There are a lot of people on here running spacers, and I don't recall every seeing anyone post anything about that.

Check to make sure your tire pressure isn't too HIGH also. According to the service guy I talked to last time I was at the dealer, too high a pressure can set off the TPMS light also. I think he said anything over 40psi.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Why would you not check the tire pressure if the light is on? I bet the tire pressure is low and I bet the tire or tires are not holding air.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that 2 psi difference between the four tires sets the sensor off. Check the tire pressure first.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Couple things:

1. If the light flashes for a minute and then goes solid, it's an error state, not a low pressure situation. I know because I got this earlier in the week after the addition of wheel spacers, but no tire change. It has since gone away on it's own, but I worry it will come back. hence I am monitoring this thread.

2. Reading the OM, it also seems your spare needs to have the correct pressure.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Wow, a 2 psi difference may cause that! Didn't know that, thanks. Yep, I best be checking (& balancing) all tire pressures first, good advice. It was late when I got back from tire shop last night & noticed the "low tire pressure" indicator was on. Tires are holding air overnight, but certainly could be differential pressures or higher/lower pressure than stock. The stock 32" BFG's were around 32psi. I'll have to check what the recommended psi rating is for the 37" MTR's. Anyone know off hand?

Come to think of it, I believe the "low pressure" light was on BEFORE I installed the spacers (tire shop wouldn't install spacers, insurance thing or something). So it's likely not the spacer distance, I guessing.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Enzo
I believe that 2 psi difference between the four tires sets the sensor off. Check the tire pressure first.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that the sensors were strictly an on/off switch activated by the pressure. I don't think they have the ability to send any actual values to compare to the other tires.

Now, on some vehicles (I have a 2006 model year car that uses this) the TPMS wasn't done with an actual pressure monitor. It was done using the traction control system to monitor the wheel speeds. If one of your tires started rotating at a different speed than the other (on the same axle), the light came on indicating that one tire must be low. I don't believe that the JK has anything like this, and even if it did I don't think it would be able to tell the difference in just 2psi.

Quick Reply: "Low Tire Pressure" indicator after tire swap (stock rubi wheels)