Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowest Profile Roof-Rack/Tent

Old 05-08-2018, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowest Profile Roof-Rack/Tent

Looking for the lowest (or second lowest) profile rooftop sleeping system for my 2-Dr JK hard top. I've still got to pull into my garage.

Thanks,
Old 05-08-2018, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the same boat with my 2 door, and think the Rhino Rack Backbone system is how I'll end up dealing with the unbelievably tight clearances in my garage. Its got the lowest profile that I've been able to find and I think when the RTT is off the best looking. The Gobi isn't much taller, but I'm not a huge fan of the exoskeleton look.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m looking for the same low profile system with a tent
Old 05-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We have some roof racks! You;d just have to get tent!
Old 05-09-2018, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Official_EAG
We have some roof racks! You;d just have to get tent!
Are y'alls mounting points strong enough for an RTT off road? I'd just assumed that since they just attach to the back glass mounts and the gutters that they wouldn't be......If I was wrong I may look into saving $500 and buying from y'all.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Thinking about getting an RTT similar to this...looking for a low profile when shut.
Maggiolina AirLand Plus | Autohome US
Old 05-14-2018, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was all for getting a roof rack, but all of the really good ones cost as much as the RTT did. I did some shopping on a local used site and got a small cargo trailer. Tent mounted on top of the trailer, extra cargo space, and light weight. Solved almost all the issues with overland camping in a 2 door JK, and I can set up camp then go wheel some more.

Having a 200lb tent and rack system up high does not do well for road manners, never mind trail manners.
The following users liked this post:
XPoser (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
I was all for getting a roof rack, but all of the really good ones cost as much as the RTT did. I did some shopping on a local used site and got a small cargo trailer. Tent mounted on top of the trailer, extra cargo space, and light weight. Solved almost all the issues with overland camping in a 2 door JK, and I can set up camp then go wheel some more.

Having a 200lb tent and rack system up high does not do well for road manners, never mind trail manners.
I'm starting to lean more towards this line of thinking...don't need more crap on the Jeep slowing me down...Rack and tent could be ~$7000, and I'd most likely have to remove the tent when I"m not out using it. Trailers might be the answer.

Quick Reply: Lowest Profile Roof-Rack/Tent