Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug wrench / lug nut question with new wheels

Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug wrench / lug nut question with new wheels

I replaced my stock wheels with Pro Comp 8107's. The area around the lug nut is smaller than stock and the large OD of the factory wrench restricts it from being able to grab the lug nut. I can use a deep thin wall socket or thin walled 4-way to get around this problem, but was wondering if there are any adapters that I could use with the OEM lug wrench to keep it simple?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Keeping a 4-way in the jeep is handier than an adapter that may become lost or left behind at home so when you need to use it, it's not there!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try the Gorilla Wrench. It comes with 2 deep sockets (4 sizes-so choose the right one, connect, leave it), provides better leverage and is Compact/extends. What I also like is that the angle allows you to access the lugs that are deep inside from the wheel edge. Approx $15 at walmart

Last edited by sclan; 05-17-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaginwagon
I replaced my stock wheels with Pro Comp 8107's. The area around the lug nut is smaller than stock and the large OD of the factory wrench restricts it from being able to grab the lug nut. I can use a deep thin wall socket or thin walled 4-way to get around this problem, but was wondering if there are any adapters that I could use with the OEM lug wrench to keep it simple?
Usually you'd go with a spline lug nut with it's own socket that can be used with a lug wrench.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vin
Usually you'd go with a spline lug nut with it's own socket that can be used with a lug wrench.
I will look into spline lugs. Are these also called "tuner" lugs??? What is the thread size of JK studs?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I replaced all mine with wheel spline lug nuts.

"Adapters are made for small diameter lug holes. They feature a closed end design, more gripping power, a larger seating surface, and extended stud engagement."

They also act as wheel locks cause you get your own spline tool that only fits your splines.

hxxp://www.customwheelaccessories.com/SplineLugNuts.html

Quick Reply: Lug wrench / lug nut question with new wheels