Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake boosters?

Old 09-29-2018, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake boosters?

Going up in size on my tires has killed my stopping power. So I'm about to order front and rear Teraflex performance big rotors kit and hawk pads (lts). My question is should I do a brake booster also and am I buying the right kits??? Maybe mopars j8??

My JKUR, auto, 4.5" MC lift, 35" tires (soon to be 37s) and 2" wheel spacers.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Just a heads up, there was a set of the Teraflex caliper relocation brackets on eBay at a reasonable price, then you'd be able to add the pieces you'd like without paying the extra premium.

The master cylinder issue comes down to what year jeep you've got, it seems somewhere in the fine print there are jeeps that didn't need a larger cylinder. Also, member Ringer found a Raybestos that matched that "upgraded" cylinders, but that info has been a few years back.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the heads up on Ebay. I remember reading something like that, I'll try to see if I cant find it again. 2014 is the year model.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Geaux
. So I'm about to order front and rear Teraflex performance big rotors kit and hawk pads (lts). My question is should I do a brake booster also and am I buying the right kits???.
There are two different kits. Big Rotor is just rotors and brackets. Big Brake is rotors, brackets and calipers as well. (this is the one that may need the booster upgrade). If you are doing rotors only, don't worry about the booster. If you are swapping calipers, what year is your JK. And if you are thinking about starting with the Big Rotor and adding the Big Brake calipers later ... they use different brackets.

I went with front/rear Teraflex rotors/brackets, 08 jku auto on 37's. Works great for my use, I don't feel the need for the upgraded calipers/booster at this point. But we all have different opinions and needs, so only you can decide. Also, I went with those hawk lts pads based on the great reviews at the time. Lots of brake dust. They work fine for me, just lots of dust. If you look for newer reviews, it seems to be a common gripe.

The other option for rotor upgrades is Dynatrac. At the time I bought, their kit was about $350 more expensive than Teraflex rotor kits + pads. I couldn't justify the cost difference. (and I think the price on the dynatrac kit was raised another $100 since then...)

If you talk yourself into calipers, the Mopar kit is priced fairly well, and includes the master and lines and everything. Last I heard it is front only, not sure if there is a rear option yet.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-30-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

I considered upgrading the calipers, but I like the option of going to the neighborhood auto store and get some pads if need to. I know with the mopar kit I cld do that, but they dont offer rears. My OCD (smh) tells me I wont be happy unless I have a matched set.. that's why I picked the teraflex rotor kit to be used with my stock calipers. They had good reviews and price.. lol

I've seen that the hawks are real dusty, maybe someone will give a good alternative??

Last edited by 4Geaux; 10-01-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Hawks are very dusty. I'm trying out the powerstop z36 rears now and I'm happy with them, though I can't say the rears put out the same kind of dust that the fronts do. The rear Hawks were dusty but not as much as the fronts. The irony- the rear pads wear faster than the fronts on the JK so you'd think I'd see more dust in the rear.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

UPDATE::: I purchased mopar big big brake kit (using pads that came w kit) and rear taraflex big rotor with hawk pads. I have not installed the brake booster yet, I wanted to drive a while so I cld comment on just that difference. As of now my jeep stops alot better. I feel very confident having to make a quick stop. There is a slight mushy feeling in the brake pedal, but no more than when it was stock. I'm hoping the booster will add the firmness I hear others talk about. Other than that its night and day difference. Worth every penny!

Now let's talk about the install... I installed the mopar bbk on my jeep and the crown bbk on my buddies jeep. Both are nice but crowns brake clips were flimsy and didnt hold firmly to the pad (it keep wanting to fall off and seemed cheap). CAUTION::: If u have modifications to ur front shocks or extended brake lines, be careful about smashing ur brake lines when at full steering lock. U dont want to mess up ur expensive brake lines or loose brake pressure while driving!!
Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I used the mopar big booster/ master cyl kit on mine when I did the axle swap. I also had the local Jeep dealer bleed the ABS since the system was completely dry when we replaced everything. I'm pretty happy with the braking power and pedal feel.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk;43293Z43
Hawks are very dusty. I'm trying out the powerstop z36 rears now and I'm happy with them, though I can't say the rears put out the same kind of dust that the fronts do. The rear Hawks were dusty but not as much as the fronts. The irony- the rear pads wear faster than the fronts on the JK so you'd think I'd see more dust in the rear.
I went with the PS Z36 front pads based off of your experience with the rear pads. I installed them this past July. They've been great. No noticeable dust. I really like these pads. Great stopping, no dust on my wheels, the stainless back plate is a nice touch to prevent rust, and the price is great. The only thing I don't know at this time is how long they'll last. Best pad I've installed, and that includes my comparison to previous EB greenstuff pads.

I'll be installing the Z36 pads in the rear for sure.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Geaux
I considered upgrading the calipers, but I like the option of going to the neighborhood auto store and get some pads if need to. I know with the mopar kit I cld do that, but they dont offer rears. My OCD (smh) tells me I wont be happy unless I have a matched set..
Don't let your OCD get confused with marketing hype B.S. feeding it the need for "balanced" braking system upgrades.

Most braking systems are designed with a 60/40 front/rear balance and that's only when they're fully locked up. In typical braking scenarios it's more of an 80/20 split.

Also the Mopar kit includes the MC and brake booster upgrades. Which means there are upgrades to the rears with the Mopar BBK. The only thing your OCD is missing is someone telling you that you need bigger rotors in the rear.

There's many options to upgrade your rears. A set of increased friction pads may suffice if you feel you really need additional braking from the rear but I highly doubt you'll find that to be the case with the Mopar BBK you got.

Also Crown has stated they're working on a rear rotor size increase kit.

I've had the Mopar BBK installed since 2015. I feel it's well balance and haven't felt the need for further rear upgrades. I'ld be interested to hear your experience since you added the TF rear upgrade. When I look at Dynatrac promoting their "balanced" upgrade system and their associated promo videos, I see the rear squating during hard braking, which is NOT what you want from a braking system.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-14-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake boosters?