Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBRP roof rack

Old 02-13-2018, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP roof rack

For anyone who has this roof rack, after installing did you notice more squeaking? Thinking about getting one but don't want annoying squeaks.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Off Camber Fab by MBRP roof rack and basket for my JKU. It adds a little more wind noise. But it's not bad. My stock tailgate rattles a little but I dont notice the top squeaking. I've loaded it up a couple of times with camping gear and it did great. Lets me haul a lot more stuff. Dont really notice that it's there other than the wind noise with the basket on. It's seems very sturdy too. I really didnt like drilling into my hardtop but I needed the extra space to haul stuff.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Seems like a good rack.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

I plan on making some long trips and didnt want to pull a trailer. This rack works really well. I just have the half rack but you can make it a full length rack. I have to take the basket off to park in the garage. It just barely clears with the rack on there.

But I just bought a small enclosed trailer off craigslist that I'm gonna try out for camping. I'm taking my family camping in New Mexico during spring break and see if I like the trailer more. If I do, I may end up selling the roof rack and basket.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am running one in with an ARB Simpson III RTT on top and I don't hear a thing other than wind noise.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Ditto the lack of squeaks. Wind noise on my (modified) rack can be quite noise, but that's mostly because of the lights I have. Back when I had the lights mounted on the basic rack (without extension), everything was pretty quiet. My only real complaint about the rack is the powdercoat was not very well applied. It's peeled a lot around the bottom of each down rod and I have rust there. For comparison purposes, Shrockworks bumpers, which have been on the vehicle longer, have far less problems with this. Eventually I'll pull the rack and backet and have it powdercoated again. Other than that, rack really is nicely done.

Before adding the front extension. I added the light mounting bar. Spider Rock, Canyon de Chelly, AZ.

After adding front extension. It has been modified for ARB snorkel, and to add the second spare tire carrier. Franklin Bluff, Dalton Highway, AK.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-19-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed mine years back on my last 07 JKU. I was concerned at first about drilling my hardtop, but just man up and went through with it. Quite frankly I like how it turn out and was pleased with it.If I had to do it again, I'd make sure to run my roof lights wiring inside the tube before completing the installation. Never noticed any squeaking and not much of wind noise either (its a half rack not the full version).
Old 12-10-2018, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on no squeeks. I've got the front extension, the basket, and an extra cross bar and no new problems, except for one, which Mark above seems to have somehow solved?!

My Jeep is in Papua New Guinea where snorkels are used heavily, but not for deep water crossings, but for dirt and dust to get cleaner air.

I just got a reply from an official MBRP employee who confirms that the MBRP front extension kit is not compatible with an AEV snorkel. Yet if you look above, it seems Mark may have fabricated a solution from the front factory MBRP arm.

Mark, are you willing to disclose your solution? Did you fabricate that? Or is that something available to the public?

Tom (from North Carolina) living as a missionary doctor in Papua New Guinea.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Spud Racer

I just got a reply from an official MBRP employee who confirms that the MBRP front extension kit is not compatible with an AEV snorkel. Yet if you look above, it seems Mark may have fabricated a solution from the front factory MBRP arm.

Mark, are you willing to disclose your solution? Did you fabricate that? Or is that something available to the public?
It is a custom fabrication by a friend of mine. There was another JKF member years back (also named Mark, LOL) who lived in Brunei at the time and he gave me the idea with his own similar mod. There are photos here of how my friend created the mod to adapt the rack to the AEV snorkel ...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4378461420621&type=1&l=87ad61e5da

Quick Reply: MBRP roof rack