Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBRP Roof Rack System

Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP Roof Rack System

Any one have this system and more importantly on a 2 door ?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default MBRP Roof Rack System

I have it on my four door. It's not available yet for the two door, unfortunately.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

How do you like it so far ? I was thinking of using the existing 4 door one to adapt it to my 2 door seems like it can work. Do you not think so ? Was it work drilling all those holes in the hard top or do you regret it ? How much was it any way ?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Super Freak

This is not definite, but I feel as if the hardtop on the 4dr over the trunk space is a smaller window frame than the 2dr hardtop over the trunk space; which is why the 4dr version will not work with the 2dr.

I don't know how much longer, but I do know that MBRP is currently working on the 2dr one -- by now I bet the design and prototype is done and now they just have to mass produce a bunch so they don't fall behind in sales.

I'm not sure how much the rack can hold, but I'm assuming roughly no more than 200lbs or so considering the hardtop is not metal; it's fiberglass & plastic.

If my 2dr was a hardtop I would buy this rack in a second!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a friend that has one on a 4door. The issue besides the window size is on the inside of the top there are brackets that run down to the bolts that hold the top on from where the rack comes thru the top to help support the wieght, on a 2 door they wouldnt line up. As for weight, I am not sure of the cpacity, but he is about 180 and it holds him just fine.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

The MBRP rack, on the 4dr, is EXTREMELY STOUT and will hod guarenteed 500lbs, They've had pics on here with 6/7 guys standing on it

I've had 300 lbs on mine, with no flex or problems

It bolts to the jeep tub, there is no downward strain on the poly hardtop

Checkout the MBRP site, for info with the pic of my jeep, with the rack on top

JIMBO
Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys I appreciate the help and info. How much was this rack and how easy is it to take off when I want to go softie (lol) ? My wife and I take of the hardtop as it is with no problem on my end and a little sluggishness on her end. We put it on a bestop dolly and away it goes till the winter. I also wanted to strap on lights to the top of it which seemed cool too. Also with the you guys that have it how easy is it to remove the t-tops now having this rack on there ?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, the rack makes it very easy to remove the top, you takeoff the same tub bolts, it provides handy "handles" to grip the top from both sides

Originally Posted by Easyryder01
Thanks guys I appreciate the help and info. How much was this rack and how easy is it to take off when I want to go softie (lol) ? My wife and I take of the hardtop as it is with no problem on my end and a little sluggishness on her end. We put it on a bestop dolly and away it goes till the winter. I also wanted to strap on lights to the top of it which seemed cool too. Also with the you guys that have it how easy is it to remove the t-tops now having this rack on there ?

I have no problem with my "T" tops, because I don't have the full top (new), you'll have to check with MBRP for that

I have installed the rear lights using the rack tabs to mount them-neat

JIMBO
Old 07-06-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Easyryder01
The rack runs around $7-800 and if you buy it from MBRP, figure another $75 for shipping. Some of their dealers run store-wide sales and free shipping which can get the total cost down significantly.

Once it is installed, it's there for good. No taking it off. Ever. Taking the freedom tops off is not an issue though, as the rack (without the front extension, which is still a work-in-progress from MBRP) does not extend that far to the front.

This rack, besides looking way cool, will supposedly hold a 1,000 static load. I would guess at least 400 pounds dynamic. So for roof-top tents and such, you would be good to go.

The build quality is excellent.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Originally Posted by hs106
The rack runs around $7-800 and if you buy it from MBRP, figure another $75 for shipping. Some of their dealers run store-wide sales and free shipping which can get the total cost down significantly.

Once it is installed, it's there for good. No taking it off. Ever. Taking the freedom tops off is not an issue though, as the rack (without the front extension, which is still a work-in-progress from MBRP) does not extend that far to the front.

This rack, besides looking way cool, will supposedly hold a 1,000 static load. I would guess at least 400 pounds dynamic. So for roof-top tents and such, you would be good to go.

The build quality is excellent.
Great info here...just want to clarify one thing...

The roof rack can be removed along with the hard top. We don't suggest taking the rack on and off the hard top but both can be removed together very easily. The rack actually makes taking the hard top off much easier because you have uprights on either side that work as handles. I have seen guys make a hoist for the rack and hard top in the ceiling of their garage as well...makes taking the top on and off a one man job.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

Quick Reply: MBRP Roof Rack System