Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melted Dana 44.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Just thinking out loud here......could an auto fire heat that axle enough to possibly warp of of the axle tubes (even if it LOOKS straight), or is it not approaching those kinds of temps? That might be a dumb question.
Depends on how hot it got. It's possible, but I don't know how likely.

FWIW, no way I would pay $1K for this. Maybe $500 at most, it might be worth the gamble. But it's going to be A LOT of work to rebuild it. If that's why you are buying it, as a project, that's fine. But if you are thinking of this as a way to save money, then you won't. You may spend less out of pocket, but the hours and hours you will spend tracking down parts, cleaning it up, rebuilding, etc. - how valuable is your time?
Old 08-05-2017, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

This is what I don't get with Wrangler axles. The things just seem WAY over priced where someone would even consider purchasing a Dana 44 that's been in a fire for $1K. Any pickup truck out there, you can find stronger axle take offs for way less money. For example, while I'm shopping around on Craigs List, I find in my area a Dana 60 from a 2001 Dodge Ram pickup truck for $200. Can you even imagine someone saying they purchased a Dana 60 that fits a JK off of CL for $200? They would have thought they just won the lottery. What the hell is wrong with this picture?

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/p...239712876.html

Why are take off axles for our Wrangler, so damn expensive?

I've started looking at these swap conversion kits to try and figure out, how much work it's going to be for a DIY project of converting a Ford Superduty 60, so it will fit on a JK, just so I can stop looking at these stupid prices of JK axles.

https://www.fusion4x4.com/online-sto...Kits-p81616675

Old 08-05-2017, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I think it's because of two reasons... first it's plug-and-play and second, JK owners (like it or not) are willing to pay more for mods than someone driving a TJ/YJ/etc..

The SuperDuty configuration is certainly tempting, but I've yet to see someone that did this without quite a bit of effort. Lots of work or money to get the old brackets off and new ones on. Then there is the issue with the Sterling hitting the fuel tank. I've heard of people who say they didn't have this problem but yet to actually SEE one that didn't.

You can do the D60/14Bolt which gets rid of the Sterling/fuel tank issue of course.

I think both of these options have a certain 'cool' factor to me that I like as well.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks jedg, that's also what I figured was the case. It was more of a supply/demand over pricing thing going on.

The fuel tank interference you outlined, that would only be for the rear axle swap?

What I'm considering is leaving the rear Dana 44, and just focusing on the front conversion swap since that's where we need it the most for an upgrade right? Do you see any problems with that?

I'm going to stay with 35's so that's why I think the rear 44 will be fine. I would just re-gear the rear to match the front gearing.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-05-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks jedg, that's also what I figured was the case. It was more of a supply/demand over pricing thing going on.

The fuel tank interference you outlined, that would only be for the rear axle swap?

What I'm considering is leaving the rear Dana 44, and just focusing on the front conversion swap since that's where we need it the most for an upgrade right? Do you see any problems with that?

I'm going to stay with 35's so that's why I think the rear 44 will be fine. I would just re-gear the rear to match the front gearing.
SuperDuty WMS is 72" if I remember correctly. Your D44 in the rear is 65.375 (65 3/8).

SD60 is going to be 8x170 while your D44 is 5x5.

Suppose you could use adapters on the rear to get them close and match the lug pattern.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Great points!!!

On that note, my current thought on the Superduty Dana 60 conversion is that I would try to follow the same conversion process as the Fusion 4x4 Dana 60/44 Hybrid axles they have. That way I'm sticking with the 5x5 bolt patterns in the front. Fusion 4x4 seems to do that conversion, but it's $4.3K for a plug and play option where they did all the work of converting it. I guess, I was thinking if I purchased their conversion kit, I could do the majority of the conversion myself after picking up a super duty Dana 60 take off and make my own Dana 60/44 Hybrid and save some money doing the conversion myself. I still need to price out everything that I'll need to complete that type of conversion, but I'm hoping it's going to be well under the $4,300 they're asking which does the same thing. I'm thinking the majority of their $4300 price is built into the labor of doing that conversion and that crazy JK upgrade front axle market demand. It is very likely I'm overlooking something. Fusion 4x4 is located in my area. I may have to stop in there and get the run down of what is all involved in doing the Dana 60/44 conversion if I purchased their Swap kit. Right now, I'm thinking it's cutting down the width of the axle, shaft replacements to match the reduced width, yoke replacement to match JK drive shaft, and welding on their swap kit.

https://www.fusion4x4.com/online-sto...bled-p81616624

This is the type of thing I'm looking at with these crazy JK axle take off prices.
Here's a front/rear of a Sterling Dana60 take off from a F350. $800 for both DANA 60 fronts and rear axles!!! So I should be able to find just a front junkyard Sterling Dana60 for under $500 then huh?
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/p...146059749.html

I should start a new topic on this discussion.....

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-05-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Honestly, I think if I was to ever tackle something as ambitious as a 1 ton swap, I'd be inclined to cut the tubes down so they weren't so fat. I like the stance of the JK and adding the extra width doesn't work for me.

If I had the garage space, or my own shop, I might consider starting something like this and just taking my time doing it. It would be a fun project.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Honestly, I think if I was to ever tackle something as ambitious as a 1 ton swap, I'd be inclined to cut the tubes down so they weren't so fat. I like the stance of the JK and adding the extra width doesn't work for me.

If I had the garage space, or my own shop, I might consider starting something like this and just taking my time doing it. It would be a fun project.
That's my thought. Seems like a fun interesting project to do in my garage if it allows me to save over $2k worth of mod money that could be put somewhere else while I end up with a 1ton in the process. It seems this would intetest the OP as well. If he's looking to spend $1k on a fire damaged stock Dana 44 and doing repairs. A D60 mod with a target cost of $2k seems along that same path of work/thought. Separate discussion thread started.n

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-05-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
That's my thought. Seems like a fun interesting project to do in my garage if it allows me to save over $2k worth of mod money that could be put somewhere else while I end up with a 1ton in the process. It seems this would intetest the OP as well. If he's looking to spend $1k on a fire damaged stock Dana 44 and doing repairs. A D60 mod with a target cost of $2k seems along that same path of work/thought. Separate discussion thread started.n
I also like the idea of a full float axle and locking front hubs.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah as tempting as the 1 ton swap is , a few problems I think will arise. obviously some people figured it out, but I need some more research.

abs tone rings? wheel speed sensors? I know its not an all bolt in axle, so there will be more work

maybe that's why everyone will pay huge amounts for bolt in, most JKs are daily drivers. Bolt ins are less down time and easier to deal with.

Quick Reply: Melted Dana 44.