Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mishimoto Radiator

Old 12-03-2016, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mishimoto Radiator

For those of you considering getting a full aluminum radiator once your OEM fails, I would highly recommend you consider another option. Although Mishimoto customer support has been adequate, I have found the quality control of these radiators to be less than satisfactory. I am now on my second lifetime warranty claim, and I salute them for honoring these claims. However, the fact that I have had two cores fail in under a year is disappointing to say the least. Additionally, the shipping cost of the replacements, and the MOPAR HOAT costs as well, has made this a pricey enterprise. Not to mention the time spent communicating with customer support and the time necessary for installation. If it fails again, I'm just going to have to eat the price of the radiator and likely just get a replacement OEM. Just a heads up for those considering this attractive yet disappointing product. Of course, I cannot speak for other owners and maybe my experience is an anomaly.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if i rember right i seen a company a few months ago that made a replacement copper brass version. if my OEM fails i plan on going with that one.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where was it leaking at , I just put one of them in my jeep hope for the best I guess
Old 12-04-2016, 11:24 PM
JK Newbie

I just put a Mishimoto Radiator in my JK in July and it has been leaking from the core as well. After reading multiple complaints about the same thing, just going to straight to OEM to replace it. So frustrating
Old 12-05-2016, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

As someone who's seen Mishi products in a number of circles, this is unsurprising. Their core quality has always been subpar, and my suspicion is that they bulk buy from overseas, weld on tanks (they're horrible welders), and pass their rads and intercoolers off as "performance".
Old 12-05-2016, 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default what does

a oem cost ?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Just an update on it, I'm certainly ignorant when it comes to evaluating the quality of their product and what aluminum can tolerate. However, I have had excellent communication with their customer support, who continues to impress despite my frustrations.

They requested a survey about my vehicle that they are requesting from the Jeep JK customers who have filed for a warranty replacement. I inquired why, and this was the response:

"We have noticed that there is an issue with the construction of the Jeeps more-so than there is with the radiator. The front end of these jeeps do have quite a bit of chassis flex that is causing premature failure of solid aluminum radiators, and we are in the middle of working on a solution for this at the current time; unfortunately we do not have an anticipated completion time-frame for this though. This is why we had sent over that brief survey to gather more information for the vehicle. To help keep this from happening again, our production team has recommended going over the front end of the jeep and updating any worn out bushings or loose components with upgraded bushings if possible to help stiffen the front end of the vehicle."

I would need input from other members to confirm if some of this is true. But regardless, I appreciate the customer service response.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by donny27
Where was it leaking at , I just put one of them in my jeep hope for the best I guess
Both of them leaked from the core on the upper passenger side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SecondRad2.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	662330

I would've rotated the image, but I don't have the desire to figure out how tonight. Just rotate your computer to get the idea.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

At 185,000 miles I replaced my perfectly good original radiator with another OEM radiator because I had a trip above the Arctic Circle. I ended up with an OEM radiator, after researching aftermarket offerings and hearing many similar complaints to what I'm reading here. And, that is what the mechanic doing the work, a personal friend and highly experienced, recommended. I'm now over 200K miles and will be delighted if I can get 400K miles out of the Jeep. I honestly see no reason to opt for one of the aftermarket ones until such time one can be assured that what they install will work.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmittyund03
Just an update on it, I'm certainly ignorant when it comes to evaluating the quality of their product and what aluminum can tolerate. However, I have had excellent communication with their customer support, who continues to impress despite my frustrations.

They requested a survey about my vehicle that they are requesting from the Jeep JK customers who have filed for a warranty replacement. I inquired why, and this was the response:

"We have noticed that there is an issue with the construction of the Jeeps more-so than there is with the radiator. The front end of these jeeps do have quite a bit of chassis flex that is causing premature failure of solid aluminum radiators, and we are in the middle of working on a solution for this at the current time; unfortunately we do not have an anticipated completion time-frame for this though. This is why we had sent over that brief survey to gather more information for the vehicle. To help keep this from happening again, our production team has recommended going over the front end of the jeep and updating any worn out bushings or loose components with upgraded bushings if possible to help stiffen the front end of the vehicle."

I would need input from other members to confirm if some of this is true. But regardless, I appreciate the customer service response.
hrm... I call bs on that explanation. As Mark Doiron says... the OEM lasts.. I don't buy a construction problem with the jeep itself. I also don't understand the extra cooling that folks see a need for? The OEM radiator cools my 6.0L iron block without troubles in 100+ degree heat while rock crawling and when towing?? I say stick with OEM and make sure you keep the front of the jeep clear of obstructions.

Quick Reply: Mishimoto Radiator