Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mishimoto Radiator

Old 12-21-2016, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mishimoto
So, if you or anybody you know has a JK that they wouldn't mind lending to us for testing, it would greatly speed up the process of getting to the bottom of these issues. Of course, once we do get a test vehicle we will keep you all updated as to what we find, chassis flex or not Thanks! -Steve
Pick me, pick me. For about $15,000 you can have a 2007 JKU Sahara test vehicle.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

If it's flex that's cracking them why don't you have a rubber or plastic bracket that bolts to the side for the upper mounts . It sucks because I just installed one ....
Old 12-22-2016, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OverKill
Pick me, pick me. For about $15,000 you can have a 2007 JKU Sahara test vehicle.
Haha, unfortunately we don't quite have the budget to buy a JK. However, if you want to take a road trip to Delaware and let us borrow it, I won't say no

Originally Posted by donny27
If it's flex that's cracking them why don't you have a rubber or plastic bracket that bolts to the side for the upper mounts . It sucks because I just installed one ....
To reiterate, we do not know for sure if chassis flex is causing the issue or not, that is just a possibility to check once we do get a test vehicle in. Not all of the JK radiators we've sold have had this issue. In fact, only a small percentage have filed warranty claims; however, that small percentage is more than we'd like to see.

The factory mounting system does incorporate rubber upper and lower mounting bushings that seem to isolate the factory radiator enough and did not cause an issue during our testing. However, we may need to reevaluate the effectiveness of those mounts once we have a vehicle to test on. But again, all of this is theory until we can test on a vehicle

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions,

Thanks!

-Steve
Old 12-28-2016, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Landoawd,

Could you point me to exactly which products you're referring to and the experiences you've had with them?
DSMs - Radiators (fitment and bunk fans)
Genesis Coupe - Intercooler (less efficient than stock; core/fin setup designed by sea monkeys) and oil cooler (over-engineered to the point where oil actually has issues reaching operating temp, but marketed as "look how cool our oilz is guyz")

Sorry for the delay. I saw someone's second Mishi radiator fail in his JK over on another forum and remembered this thread. Stick to oil caps.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by landoawd
DSMs - Radiators (fitment and bunk fans)
Genesis Coupe - Intercooler (less efficient than stock; core/fin setup designed by sea monkeys) and oil cooler (over-engineered to the point where oil actually has issues reaching operating temp, but marketed as "look how cool our oilz is guyz")

Sorry for the delay. I saw someone's second Mishi radiator fail in his JK over on another forum and remembered this thread. Stick to oil caps.
Hi landoawd,

I don’t want to get the thread off on a tangent of other products but I would like to address your concerns.

At this time, we are not aware of any fitment issues with any DSM radiators or issues with DSM fans. However, as I mentioned before, we are constantly looking to improve our products. Any issues that may have existed in the past have likely been resolved through input from our customers and our lifetime warranty ensures that customers receive the most updated version of a product in the event that they have an issue.

In regards to the Hyundai Genesis Coupe intercooler and oil cooler, as I mentioned earlier, efficiency is a very tricky beast. What works very well for one vehicle and build may not work for another vehicle. That particular intercooler was tested extensively to work well on vehicles with mid to very high horsepower. It is offered in two kits, a street version which utilizes our Z-Line core, and a race version that utilizes our J-Line core. Both the street version and the race version were tested on a nearly stock Genesis and showed about 25° better cooling than the stock intercooler. Although it works well on lightly modified vehicles, the race version is intended for use on very high horsepower vehicles. In fact, it was tested in Texas on one of the highest horsepower Genesis Coupes in the world and showed power gains and increased cooling efficiency. You can read the full engineering report for those two kits here.

As for the oil cooler; all our oil cooler kits are offered with a thermostatic or non-thermostatic sandwich plate. Generally, we recommend anybody who daily-drives their vehicle use the thermostatic sandwich plate. This ensures that the oil reaches operating temperature as it would with the stock system before the sandwich plate’s thermostat opens and allows the oil to flow through the cooler. The non-thermostatic oil cooler kits are ideal for those that primarily race their vehicles or who live in very hot climates and may have issues with insufficient cooling from the stock system. You can also read the engineering report for that oil cooler kit here.

Of course, our customer service and I are always available to help work out what’s best for your setup and your vehicle. As I said, we’re constantly looking for ways to improve our products and bring better value to our customers. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks! Have a good New Year!

-Steve
Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

After having mine installed for a few weeks I can say that my fan has come on less then it used to . But I guess time will tell if mine starts leaking....
Old 12-29-2016, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks! Have a good New Year!

-Steve
I don't believe I asked any questions, and I've seen the brochures before.
Having tuned cars for 20 or so years, I'm sharing my experience with the products; nothing more. I'll stick with Koyo, Garrett, etc...And OEM on applications where no gains are to be had.
Have a good one, Steve.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by landoawd
Having tuned cars for 20 or so years, I'm sharing my experience with the products; nothing more. I'll stick with Koyo, Garrett, etc...And OEM on applications where no gains are to be had.
Have a good one, Steve.
We appreciate the feedback!

Originally Posted by donny27
After having mine installed for a few weeks I can say that my fan has come on less then it used to . But I guess time will tell if mine starts leaking....

Good to hear! Let us know if anything changes; our customer service is here to help.

Just to give you guys a quick update, we currently have this 2008 JK in the shop to dig deeper into this issue. We plan to bring in a few different JK's from different model years and with varying mileage as well. I'll be sure to keep you updated with anything we find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0880.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	664048

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0883.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	664049

Thanks!

-Steve

Last edited by Mishimoto; 01-05-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm currently suspecting that I may have a small leak somewhere in my OEM radiator. In light of that, I started shopping around for a replacement radiator and the Mishimoto was one that I had considered and was originally excited to purchase. However, after doing more research I have found what the OP described to be a somewhat common experience. If you go on Amazon and look at the listings for the JK Wrangler Mushimoto radiator, you will read quite a few reviews stating the same problems and headaches as the OP.

I decided since the price of the Mushimoto is almost double the costs of an OEM replacement and there seems to be quite a few common failure reports with the Mushimoto, I rather not risk having to deal with those headaches. My current OEM Mopar radiator has 125K miles on it, and I have never had any overheating problems. It has served me well. The only problem I currently have is that my heater is no longer functioning up to snuff in the cold weather and after some further diagnosis, I'm pretty certain that is due to loosing pressure in my cooling system, thus the reason I suspect a small leak somewhere, most likely the radiator. The lifetime warranty sounds great on the Mushimoto, but after reading the associated problems in using that warranty, it doesn't sound like a path I would like to pursue. I don't consider replacing radiators to be all that fun on the Wrangler, especially this time of the year where the outside temp is 20F in my area. Therefore, if I can get another 125K miles from a Mopar replacement OEM radiator, I feel I rather go down that path for 1/2 the price and that will likely be close to the lifetime of my JK Wrangler with it's current engine anyways.

If someone would like to try and convince me all these common problems no longer exist with the Mushimoto, then I may reconsider. I'm currently waiting for some warmer weather before I purchase a replacement radiator. However, the Amazon reviews reporting the same problems all seem pretty current. The latest review being submitted December of 2016, so the common problems don't seem to be currently resolved.
https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMR...ator+mishimoto

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-05-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rednroll
If you go on Amazon and look at the listings for the JK Wrangler Mushimoto radiator, you will read quite a few reviews stating the same problems and headaches as the OP...

If someone would like to try and convince me all these common problems no longer exist with the Mushimoto, then I may reconsider. I'm currently waiting for some warmer weather before I purchase a replacement radiator. However, the Amazon reviews reporting the same problems all seem pretty current. The latest review being submitted December of 2016, so the common problems don't seem to be currently resolved.
https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMR...ator+mishimoto

Hi Rednroll,

I completely understand your trepidation after reading the Amazon reviews for this radiator. What I can say, however, is that we have sold a pretty large number of these radiators and the majority of customers have not reported issues with them. Nevertheless, we're determined to come up with a solution for those who are having issues. As I said in my last post, we have a 2008 JK in right now to test on and hope to have a 2016 JK in within the next few weeks. We certainly aim to have a path forward on this issue before spring and I will keep this thread updated with developments.

As always, our warranty will ensure that, if you do have an issue with one of our products, you will receive the most up to date version as a replacement.

We always appreciate the feedback and I hope to bring you good news about this product in the near future.

Thanks!

-Steve

Quick Reply: Mishimoto Radiator