Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mishimoto's 2007-2011 JK Wrangler Baffled Oil Catch Can R&D

Old 07-20-2017, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

What's the can look like inside, and how is it drained?

Old 07-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That placement also interferes with air compressor manifolds. I get the idea but I don't see it working for as many folks here as you'd hope to service.....we already have things taking up that space.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That placement also interferes with air compressor manifolds. I get the idea but I don't see it working for as many folks here as you'd hope to service.....we already have things taking up that space.
That was my thought as well. That and having such a big ass bracket holding up a tiny can seemed like a big waste of space. I was thinking the area right next to the battery tray, in front of where the heater core hoses attach to the firewall would be a good location and you wouldn't have to have long hose runs going over the top of the engine. I was thinking a bracket that just J-hooks onto the battery tray, where you wouldn't even have to bolt it down, making it easy to empty the can as well. I'm not sure how well that location works for those with dual battery trays though.....not my problem though.

BLOOOOH-BYE!!! LOL!!! I love that video.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-21-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I don't have the sPod but it should give Mishi an idea of where else they could fit a catch can.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170322_231923.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	673460
Old 07-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Yup, right where the brains for sPOD, and whatever knock off you want to name, mount.

Something tells me you're gonna need to fix your reputation with the radiators before you sell many of these.
Originally Posted by karls10jk
Originally Posted by Rednroll
That was my thought as well. That and having such a big ass bracket holding up a tiny can seemed like a big waste of space. I was thinking the area right next to the battery tray, in front of where the heater core hoses attach to the firewall would be a good location and you wouldn't have to have long hose runs going over the top of the engine. I was thinking a bracket that just J-hooks onto the battery tray, where you wouldn't even have to bolt it down, making it easy to empty the can as well. I'm not sure how well that location works for those with dual battery trays though.....not my problem though.

BLOOOOH-BYE!!! LOL!!! I love that video.
I appreciate the input guys. We are aware that there are other aftermarket modifications that are put in that area, but unfortunately, that location was the best decision for us with respect to servicing and rigidity. We didn't want to place the bracket anywhere on the engine, and there just wasn't much space around the engine bay for it to go anywhere else that would make it convenient.

Originally Posted by Mr.T
What's the can look like inside, and how is it drained?

Here's what they look like opened up! The bottom twists off and you can pour out the contents. We also have a drain pet**** kit that attaches to all of our catch cans!

It seems you may have made a mistake in your translation of an English idiom. It's "like a hot knife through butter."
I don't think I had enough coffee! Thanks for pointing that out, made the switch.

Also, the presale announcement will be made shortly!

-Diamaan

Last edited by Mishimoto; 07-21-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Former Vendor

Hey everyone,

We are making our presale for the 2007-2011 Jeep Wrangler Baffled Oil Catch Can Kit live! During this period, you can get this product at a great discount before the final production kits hit the warehouse and the market. This presale will be going on for several weeks, so you have time, but don't wait too long!

Please check out the details below and please let us know if you have any questions!

PreSale Link

Expected Release: Early September 2017

Pricing Details:
Downpipe
MSRP: $260.00
Pre-sale: $179.95

Includes:
(1) Application-Specific Mounting Bracket
(1) Black, Anodized 6061 Aluminum Catch Can
(2) Silicone Hoses
(2) Plastic Barbed Fittings
(4) Worm Gear Clamps
(1) Bronze Filter
(1) Air Diverter
(1) Internal Baffle & Rod
(1) 3/8" NPT Plug
(1) Large O-Ring
Mounting Hardware
Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

PreSale Link

Again, please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Diamaan
Old 07-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

$180 on sale. What a bargain!!!

BLOOOOW BYE!!!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$180 on sale. What a bargain!!!

BLOOOOW BYE!!!
Takes up the same space as a air compressor for less than half the price. What a deal.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Cold weather...

Been doing some thinking and I suspect there could be cold weather issues:

1. Water being a byproduct of combustion may condense in large amounts, and then freeze. Frequent draining would be a pain, especially in bad weather with no garage.

2. Plugging a cold sintered bronze 50 micron filter with frost from water vapor contact.

A google search of "catch can" "water" "cold" "ice" was informative.

If the crankcase ventilation flow is reduced, potentially to zero, water and other combustion byproducts tend to build up in the oil and turn to sludge. The sludge causes the rings to stick, starting a vicious cycle from more blowby.

Has Mishimoto tested this catch can in cold weather for the above potential issues?

Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Been doing some thinking and I suspect there could be cold weather issues:

1. Water being a byproduct of combustion may condense in large amounts, and then freeze. Frequent draining would be a pain, especially in bad weather with no garage.

2. Plugging a cold sintered bronze 50 micron filter with frost from water vapor contact.

A google search of "catch can" "water" "cold" "ice" was informative.

If the crankcase ventilation flow is reduced, potentially to zero, water and other combustion byproducts tend to build up in the oil and turn to sludge. The sludge causes the rings to stick, starting a vicious cycle from more blowby.

Has Mishimoto tested this catch can in cold weather for the above potential issues?

Great points. This is actually a known problem for a lot of applications out there, we had to keep that in mind for designing our kit for the 2015+ Ford F150 Ecoboost truck and the 2016+ Chevy Camaro 2.0T.

BLOW-BY RESULTS FROM PROTOTYPE 2015+ FORD F150 3.5L ECOBOOST CATCH CAN KIT

BLOW-BY RESULTS FROM 2016+ CHEVY CAMARO 2.0T CATCH CAN KIT

But back to the Jeep, the majority of our testing actually took place this past winter. We did not run into any issues with freezing lines or anything of that nature. The content will change (see above for examples) as it will contain more water than condensed oil/fuel vapors, but we did not find a need to drain the can more often than the recommended oil change intervals.

-Diamaan

Quick Reply: Mishimoto's 2007-2011 JK Wrangler Baffled Oil Catch Can R&D