JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Mopar jk 392 Hemi crate engine install (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/mopar-jk-392-hemi-crate-engine-install-350345/)

Punisher40 05-15-2019 11:36 AM

Mopar jk 392 Hemi crate engine install

So, mopar performance has a 392 Hemi crate engine listed on the jk section of its website, along with a tremec magnum transmission, a wiring harness, front end accessory kit, ac expansion kit, oil filter, headers, etc. see here, scroll down https://moparonlineparts.com/mobile/...28_57_350.html

unfortunately, I can’t find any information anywhere about compatability or install. Is the wiring harness plug and play? Is it set up to fit jk motor mounts? Does it fit the stock 6 speed manual? (Yes, I know it exceeds the torque rating). Does it bolt directly to the magnum transmission? Is the magnum transmission compatable with the stock transfer case? Do I need anything other than the wiring harness and front end accessory kit?

ive searched the forums and found zero. All the vendors sell their own $5-10k swap kits, and quote around $30k to do the swap, but the main part of their kits seem to be a wiring harness (mopar’s is about $1,700) and bolt on engine mounts. I priced the engine, transmission and accessories out to about $15,500, and my local mechanic estimates about 20 hours for the swap (or $2,000). What am I missing? Why is this a $30k install?

ok, i know I’m probably missing motor mounts, possibly driveshafts, maybe exhaust and ecu flash, but I’m still under $20k.

anyone done this or know the answers to any of my questions? I could see (maybe) sinking $17-20k into a 6.4 Hemi swap, but $30k is just too much for even my liberal sense of “man math” when it comes to cars. Even if I had it, I wouldn’t feel right about spending that much.

bkg 05-15-2019 12:20 PM

20 hours for the swap? highly doubt it...

I don't think i'd put a 6.4 in with stock axles...

"Possibly driveshafts"??? definitely. That can be as much as $1500
"maybe exhaust"??? definitely.
"ecu flash"???

I think you're way under estimating this.

DEJK2012 05-15-2019 12:32 PM

Is there a reason why you want/ need the hemi in the jeep? Other then having it? Personally and with talking to people that have done hemi, LS, a supercharger, and a turbo on the JKs. I am wanting to do the Prodigy kit. Get roughly the same HP as a smaller LS or Hemi, a fraction of the cost (even though its a crazy amount for a turbo kit). And this is me with a 6.2 LS sitting in my garage right now. I was slowly getting stuff to do the swap but have had my mind changed when i started talking to more locals about their builds. That is my 2 cents, A V8 is not needed in a JK, even for "extreme" trails.

Punisher40 05-15-2019 01:15 PM

Interested in selling it?

guess I’m going to answer a few questions at once . . .

I’m already probably over 6,000 pounds with Dana ultimate 60s, 5.38s, lockers, 40# tires. I’ve looked at the super chargers and turbos. The idea of plunging hot turbos and turbo pipes into water or mud off-road just sounds like a bad idea. (Ordinarily im a big turbo fan). Supercharger is a decent bump in power, but not a bump in strength. The 3.6 is still a light duty, moderate power/torque unit. I wonder whether it will stand up to big power, but more importantly, big weight.

in either case, I’ve researched the hell out of turbo/superchargers, and I haven’t found a lack of info. What I’m looking for here is information specifically about the 392 crate engine mopar performance is selling on its jeep jk page.

i will note that the jk Dana ultimate 60s really are pretty much bolt in, as advertised, so I was hoping mopar made the Hemi and wiring harness jk specific (because it’s on the jk page).

DEJK2012 05-15-2019 01:44 PM

Possibly, all depends on what my father says about his Wide Open Design chassis he has sitting in his back yard :rotflmao2: And youre build does change the tune a little. Ya so when you click the link and go to the wiring harness it switches you over to the Grand Cherokee? Wonder what is up with that. I have no experience with any of that so i can only help so much. But another good place to get engines and everything is here
https://www.clevelandpap.com/product...gine-packages/

gfe jeep 05-19-2019 06:26 AM

JSS (Jeep Speed Shop) sells kits for engine swaps if that helps any

Punisher40 05-19-2019 03:27 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately I can’t find information on this mopar performance kit, or information on what manual transmissions are compatible with the jk transfer case.

prelucir 05-20-2019 03:58 AM

You might have to change your transfer case. I am sure the 30K includes an atlas. After all, why swap the engine if your not going to put in a transfer case that can handle the abuse?

prelucir 05-20-2019 04:07 AM

I went back and looked at the website listed above. Once you add in all the extra parts that Mopar requires you to purchase with the engine and add a 10% mark up, your at 20K. So I am not sure why the 30K price tag. Perhaps it takes 40+ hours to swap the motor. And again, new atlas, drive shaft and other incidentals, now your getting close the to 30K mark.

Punisher40 05-20-2019 08:13 AM

From my research, Dodge 2500 pickups used to use the NV231, which I believe was the TJ generation jeep transfer case. I believe the jk is an NV241, but I’ve seen conflicting info and I sometimes get all the numbers confused in my head (too much google time will do that). In any case, I think the stock transfer case might be up to the job, if barely. (An atlas would be way cooler, but I’m trying to keep the budget down).

I emailed Atlas. Their transfer case does not fit the Tremec Magnum/T6060 transmission. They can fit the Getrag G238 4wd. Of course, I don’t know if that is compatible with the 6.4 Hemi crate engine.

by the way, the 6.4 Hemi is available from other sources in the $7500 range, so subtract about $1,000 from the mopar price.

if you go the G238 path, they seem to be available used at a discount, but again, not sure about compatibility with the 6.4 Hemi.