Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOPAR Tubular Side Steps over Rubicon Rock Sliders?

Old 01-08-2007, 04:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOPAR Tubular Side Steps over Rubicon Rock Sliders?

Hi everyone,

I'll be putting a Garvin style basket roof rack on my 4-d Rubi, so side steps would be useful to access the basket (although I don't really like the look of steps). The Mopar Tubular Side Steps (http://www.justforjeeps.com/tusist2.html) don't look too bad. Does anyone know if they can be mounted while keeping the original rock sliders?

Thanks,
js.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

The rock rails have to be removed. They are easy to take off and it wouldn't take long to reinstall the rock rails if needed.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chvynova
The rock rails have to be removed. They are easy to take off and it wouldn't take long to reinstall the rock rails if needed.
Thanks. I need both, at the same time, so I guess the Mopar are a no-go. Oh well. Gonna have to continue looking... :-)

Thanks again,

js.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

The tube steps are set lower than the rock-rails; tube steps would be the first thing to "drag or catch" . Why then would you want the the rock-rails?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by chubbchubb
The tube steps are set lower than the rock-rails; tube steps would be the first thing to "drag or catch" . Why then would you want the the rock-rails?

If i recall in the owners manual it says to remove the steps before offroad use..
Old 01-08-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
If i recall in the owners manual it says to remove the steps before offroad use..
Yeah I saw that too. I haven't hurt mine yet. If you're into the rock climbing thing, then sure your gonna tear them off. So far they have done a pretty decent job of deflecting saplings away from the paint, so Im pleased with mine. They are at least 4" higher than the boxed frame rail, so barring me catching a stump, I think they'll be fine.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
Thanks. I need both, at the same time, so I guess the Mopar are a no-go. Oh well. Gonna have to continue looking... :-)

Thanks again,

js.
If you are set on Mopar and need rock protection and a step at the same time, then the ROCK RAILS With Tubular Rub Rails would probably be the way to go. Of course, you could probably find a better version from an after-market manufacturer. I really like the ones from PUREJEEEP and will probably replace my Sahara sidesteps with them when they are finally available!

The PUREJEEP ones are discussed in this thread (with pics!).

There are also those AMP Research Power Steps from Bestop that Eddie did a write-up on here. Not sure how much protection they offer, but they definitely give you the option of having a side step without sacrificing ground clearance.

Last edited by doojer; 01-08-2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: changed stuff...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like these by Warn.

Plus they stick out a little so you can stand on them to reach the roof rack.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by doojer
The PUREJEEP ones are discussed in this thread (with pics!).
PUREJEEP are nice, but I'd be worried about center strength. I'm thinking of going with the Body Armor ones... http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6041

Thanks!
js.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
PUREJEEP are nice, but I'd be worried about center strength. I'm thinking of going with the Body Armor ones... http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6041

Thanks!
js.
The Body Armor ones are really nice

What makes you worry about the strength of the PUREJEEPs? They seem pretty strong in these pics!

Quick Reply: MOPAR Tubular Side Steps over Rubicon Rock Sliders?