Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most "Plush" 2.5" lift for highway driving?

Old 02-07-2014, 03:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OME kit light/medium load springs. Nicer ride then stock. Nets roughly 2.5 inches.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drumnatural
OME kit light/medium load springs. Nicer ride then stock. Nets roughly 2.5 inches.
x2 I think you'll like the what ome has with the softer springs for what ride your looking for especially if your not looking for a specific size tire to run
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meep97
I love the ride of my Metalcloak lift with OME shocks. I've ridden in Rough Country, Rock Krawler, and have owned Teraflex BB lift and IMO my current set up blows all of them away. I have heard EVO plush coils are pretty plush but they are at 3" of lift. At 2.5" it's not mandatory to replace the trackbar but it is recommended.
X2...I'm running OME 2.5" HD springs and Nitrochargers...it's a very nice ride!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PET77
There is quite a number of contradictory remarks here on the forum as regards the softness of different springs. Some say RK rides nice, some its totaly harsh. Some say AEV rides great, others oppose.

Since every Jeep is different (lots of different equipment, or rather lack of it), its really hard to tell for sure. The only way would be finding out the spring rates for these springs. I am not sure however if the manufacturers will be willing to actually tell us, or whether they perceive it as a part of their private "know-how"...

Anyhow, if you are only after a "stance", dont really plan to wheel and want to keep close-to-stock handling, you should definitely check the TF levelling kit: | TeraFlex Suspensions
Mostly because everyone recommends what they have on their rig and don't have much to compare them to.

Metal Cloak
Icon Vehicle Dynamics
Currie
Rock Krawler/AEV
BDS
Teraflex
Rough Country/Zone
Full Traction
Skyjacker
Rubicon Express
Pro Comp

I put the RK and AEV at about the same. The RK is slightly more firm and the AEV is more factory type ride, but AEV is not available as much of a complete system. RC and Zone are about the same, though I like the RC shocks a bit better offroad. Pro Comp was the most awful ride I've ever experienced. I also want to say I had an opportunity to experience with Trail Master some years back and it was a great ride. Unfortunately, this was before they were bought out by the folks that run Pro Comp and Rubicon Express and they don't even offer the same setup that they used to, so most likely it's rebranded Pro Comp now. I've never had an opportunity to check out EVO , Clayton and some others so I can't speak to those.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what you described.....................

You want on-highway ride quality and not have to mix-match parts. Go with AEV
Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Wow, I appreciate what everone has said here, a lot to think about. I am definitely not a mechanic and don't claim to have a lot of knowledge about lift kits. I just know I had death wobble issues on my 08 wrangler and I would rather run stock for life before going through that again. This is why I am skeptical about running the "budget boost" kits. I would rather spend $1k or so and get the complete setup and if I need to replace the track bar, ect. I will do that as well. Also, I am guessing the nicer shocks will provide the smoother ride I am looking for?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kiawahgolf
Wow, I appreciate what everone has said here, a lot to think about. I am definitely not a mechanic and don't claim to have a lot of knowledge about lift kits. I just know I had death wobble issues on my 08 wrangler and I would rather run stock for life before going through that again. This is why I am skeptical about running the "budget boost" kits. I would rather spend $1k or so and get the complete setup and if I need to replace the track bar, ect. I will do that as well. Also, I am guessing the nicer shocks will provide the smoother ride I am looking for?
With a 2.5 spring lift you'll likely get more than 2.5" which means greater changes in geometry. With a 2.5 spacer lift (budget boost) you get exactly 2.5" so you don't need a front trackbar or control arms etc. Don't think budget means bad. It would do exactly what you want. Never had death wobble or any adverse effects from my budget boost and I have a 2dr which can be more sensitive to these issues with the shorter wheelbase.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Lifts do not cause Death Wobble. Worn components or incorrectly installed parts cause it.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GoBig

X2...I'm running OME 2.5" HD springs and Nitrochargers...it's a very nice ride!
X3. The ride of the OME is great I've put the HD coils and nitro chargers on both jk's I've had. When I swap out the coils im going with EVO plus rides or EVO bolt on coil overs.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by coachholland
Mostly because everyone recommends what they have on their rig and don't have much to compare them to.

Metal Cloak
Icon Vehicle Dynamics
Currie
Rock Krawler/AEV
BDS
Teraflex
Rough Country/Zone
Full Traction
Skyjacker
Rubicon Express
Pro Comp

I put the RK and AEV at about the same. The RK is slightly more firm and the AEV is more factory type ride, but AEV is not available as much of a complete system. RC and Zone are about the same, though I like the RC shocks a bit better offroad. Pro Comp was the most awful ride I've ever experienced. I also want to say I had an opportunity to experience with Trail Master some years back and it was a great ride. Unfortunately, this was before they were bought out by the folks that run Pro Comp and Rubicon Express and they don't even offer the same setup that they used to, so most likely it's rebranded Pro Comp now. I've never had an opportunity to check out EVO , Clayton and some others so I can't speak to those.

So is this list from best ride to worst (if your opinion)? I am looking to piece together (frankenlift as I have seen it coined) and thinking highly to the MC dual rate springs

Quick Reply: Most "Plush" 2.5" lift for highway driving?