Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 4x4 SPOD caught on fire

Old 08-10-2017, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my new sPOD yesterday! I am very excited but definitely a tad bit nervous haha. Click image for larger version

Name:	TMhdIaU.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	678947
I forgot to ask for a harness for the ARB air compressor. I found out you really do not need one and its a waste of $25 if you ask me. Just pull these two wires out of the harness plug and connect them to the sPOD

Click image for larger version

Name:	ruLVCbm.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	678948

A rightfully earned upgrade

Attachment 1
Old 08-10-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Peytoven
I forgot to ask for a harness for the ARB air compressor. I found out you really do not need one and its a waste of $25 if you ask me. Just pull these two wires out of the harness plug and connect them to the sPOD
Not sure which compressor you have or if the wiring might be different than on my ARB CKMTA12, but I just had to run the one purple wire from the compressor to one of the sPOD positive posts. Didn't require anything run to the negative post for the sPOD switch.....assuming you don't have lockers, that's all you need to do.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now my sPOD is being recalled. Darn. I blew my fuse today actually and got this email an hour later. Click image for larger version

Name:	sPOD_Recall_RevJSource-01.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	547.5 KB
ID:	674130
Old 08-19-2017, 12:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Peytoven
Now my sPOD is being recalled. Darn. I blew my fuse today actually and got this email an hour later.
Man, that is almost unbelievable.

I've always wanted an sPOD, but haven't enough extra cash to dole out. I've learned a lot from this thread and your experience though, thanks for posting the details.

As an aside, there are standards for protecting electronics from water/fluids and so forth. It kind of surprises me that aftermarket companies don't use those standards to their benefit (e.g "IP66"). Not having seen the guts of an sPOD before, it also gave me pause to see the surface mount technology (SMT) on the upper right hand side of the board exposed. One little drop of anything, or for that matter a very small piece of wire from falling across the micro sized circuit could really wreak havoc. That section of the board could be protected in so many ways to prevent issues.

Thank goodness you saved your Jeep from burning to the ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sPOD.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	674180

Quick Reply: My 4x4 SPOD caught on fire