Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" Skyjacker help me upgrade thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" Skyjacker help me upgrade thread

Hey so a little back story, I've had my Jeep brand new from stock. I live in NYC and 90% of my driving is city/highway 10% is mudding, beach, local trails. My cousin had a very reputable jeep in the community and he has a shop local. They wanted my Jeep for a big show and hooked me up with a 4" sky jacker lift kit with the steering stabilizer. I'm running 20x12 with 35's. I love the look but hate the ride.

Main problem is my drag link just tore by the boot so that needs to be fixed.

Second after reading up a bunch, I shouldn't have a 4" lift with out other supporting mods. What else is nessacary to support this lift.

I get a lot of bump steer, my steering tends to wobble left and right when minor bumps are hit, hell sometimes when just going straight down a realitive smooth road it'll shake left and right. Not death wobble just more like death wiggle lol and it'll last a few seconds.

The ride isn't very comfy, I had to go all the way down to 24 psi so I don't feel every ant I run over.

The Goal!
I would like to upgrade around the current set up I have even if it means upgrading shocks to let's say for example Fox 2.0. Fix that drag link with better/quality solution. I want to do all the mods that support a 4" lift but in stages from most important to least. I would like a more comfortable ride if possible, I know it's a jeep and certain things you just gotta deal with but I want to improve it from my current ride quality. I am not changing my wheels, I am not dropping down from 4", I'm hear asking for help on how to achieve my goal as best as possible and do not want to go another route. That being said please help!

Last edited by Nkhan91; 01-17-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Which 4" skyjacker kit? (what components are actually installed? Adjustable control arms, cam bolts, rear raised/lowered trackbar bracket, front adjustable trackbar, etc?) Need to know what you have to give advice on which components to upgrade first/last/in-between.

Do you have an alignment printout? (what is the current caster?) Have the tires been rotated / re-balanced recently?

A draglink flip / high-steer may take care of the bumpsteer. (raising/lowering one end of the draglink - either moving the axle end up to the top of the knuckle, or lowering the frame end with a drop pitman. And also moving one end of the front trackbar with a raised bracket on the axle, or a lowering bracket from the frame. This flattens the post-lift angles while keeping those bars parallel to each other.) Do some research on this, there are some fan favorites and somewhat less desireable ones.

Are you keeping an eye on the front driveshaft? At that height, you could wear through the boot on the joint at the tcase just from city driving.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I originally thought it was my lift causing my rough ride, but it was actually the tires. What tires do you have?

As for the bump steer I don't know... I have a 4.5" lift and 35's and never encountered any steering issues. As odd as it may sound, even at 4.5" of lift I am still running all stock control arms and I do NOT have cam bolts or correction brackets like AEV sells. I also do not have a high steer kit or drag link flip kit or any of that stuff. How it works I don't know, but it works and I am quite happy with the ride. I am actually kind of afraid to add more "stuff" to my lift out of fear that it will mess something up and give my jeep shimmies or a wobble.

So basically, all my lift came with was new shocks, new coils, a front adjustable track bar, longer sway bar links and bump stops. Other than that I have since added a new front drive shaft and a rear adjustable track bar, but that's it. Everything else is stock, even the steering stabilizer. Drives just as smooth and stable as my wife's car, lol.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 01-18-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Which 4" skyjacker kit? (what components are actually installed? Adjustable control arms, cam bolts, rear raised/lowered trackbar bracket, front adjustable trackbar, etc?) Need to know what you have to give advice on which components to upgrade first/last/in-between.

Do you have an alignment printout? (what is the current caster?) Have the tires been rotated / re-balanced recently?

A draglink flip / high-steer may take care of the bumpsteer. (raising/lowering one end of the draglink - either moving the axle end up to the top of the knuckle, or lowering the frame end with a drop pitman. And also moving one end of the front trackbar with a raised bracket on the axle, or a lowering bracket from the frame. This flattens the post-lift angles while keeping those bars parallel to each other.) Do some research on this, there are some fan favorites and somewhat less desireable ones.

Are you keeping an eye on the front driveshaft? At that height, you could wear through the boot on the joint at the tcase just from city driving.
https://skyjacker.com/shop/suspension-lift-kit/jk40bphsr/

This is what I have installed plus the skyjacker steering stabilizer. That's pretty much it.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

As nthinuf suggest, most of your issues should be fixed with proper caster and a high steer kit. Beyond that, tires and shocks are going to be personal preference and provide various ride qualities. I see cam bolts in that picture of the lift. If you have cam bolts installed for a 4.5" lift, that is not adequate. Your caster needs to be up over 4*, and I'd take a random guess you're close to 3* or below. You need an adequate form of caster correction for that kind of height. Either some quality control arm brackets, or a set of adjustable front control arms. Then, you'll be able to set your caster correctly. Steering angles are too steep as well.....high steer (drag link) flip kit at that height is going to help....again, nthinuf has already alluded to this.

Not to be harsh, but the ride you describe is exactly what I'd expect from the kit. It's pretty budget conscious and incomplete. The sad simple fact is....it's not cheap to lift a jeep....properly.

**look at the lower control arm mounts on the front axle and see if you spot cam bolts installed and report back.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

https://skyjacker.com/shop/suspensio...kit/jk40bphsr/

Most 4 inch lift kits come with at the minimum front lower control arms. With that being said I would strongly suggest getting a set of adjustable control arms, I prefer Rock Krawler because of two reason, they are made in America, Waterford, NY and their product is pretty bullet proof. RK is also a forum sponsor.

When you go above 3 inches a high steer kit is highly recommended. Ideally having the Track Bar and Drag Link parallel will reduce bump steer. Also check your wheels for balance weights that may have fallen off. Also what may cause the wiggle are the tires. Some big lugged tires are not truly round and that will cause some wiggle in the steering wheel.

Lastly since you have gone over 3 inches of lift it is highly recommended to go with aftermarket driveshafts that have u joints to take up the difference in ride height.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Im at 5.5 to 6 inches and on factory front uppers, rear uppers and lowers, and adjustable front lowers ,,,no issues caused.
it does shorten the wheelbase about an inch maybe an inch an a half is the downside.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Check your rear axel flanges if your on stock rear axles , add 35s and wheel 10percent of the time they are most likley bent,
and check your ball joints,,
Old 01-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The first thing I would do is get a current print out of your alignment. If you're on a 4" with stock arms, caster is most likely down around 2.5 degrees which will drive poorly. Adding adjustable front lower control arms will help you to regain your caster and wheel base.

Adam C

Quick Reply: 4" Skyjacker help me upgrade thread