JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   My First Rubicon (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-first-rubicon-344845/)

Redroad 01-09-2018 07:53 PM

My First Rubicon

I’m in the honeymoon phase of total overjoydom, I just picked up my first ever Wrangler Rubicon JKU 2018 about 10 days ago. I've been loving every minute of it. Being stock it feels so low to the ground, I’m enthusiastic to get the first mods done. This week I will install a 3 ½ inch JKS Jspec lift with 17’ Fuel wheels and Nitto Grappler 35’ tires.

The other big thing for me is to get these plastic bumpers off my new Rubi. I’ve looked at dozens of bumpers’ and I like the Rampage Trailguard front bumper. I haven't decided on the rear.

What do ya'll think about going with a different company for the rear bumper? ( I don't like the Rampage Trailguard rear bumper)
Has anyone used Rampage bumpers? Curious your thoughts.

doc5339 01-09-2018 10:18 PM

Congrats

Glad you're enjoying it, and you might be very surprised just how capable the Rubicon is stock.

SpicedCrusher 01-10-2018 08:03 AM

Congrats and enjoy... I am sure you read all the stickies so you know or at least have a general idea of what you are doing... That 3.5 JKS wouldn't be my choice but its a good kit. You don't mention what your intentions are other then you think it sits too low so can't really say too much. Also who cares if the bumpers match, I guess if you have OCD it might bother you but certainly wouldn't be why I bought one or the other.

My advice would be to take a deep breath and slow down. Start looking at different set ups, reading reviews and spending time on the boards getting to know about components and what all is needed. Then once you feel you are ready then you whip out the Visa and start going wild. You have barely had it a week, enjoy it for a bit before you start modding it. I know its tough to fight the urge but you will thank me later.

Runewolf1973 01-11-2018 09:20 AM

Congrats on the new Jeep!!

resharp001 01-11-2018 09:44 AM

I personally don't feel like bumpers need to match. It does annoy me a bit to see several different manufacturer logos at one time in general, but that's never really the case with a front/rear bumper combo. Congrats on the new ride. Feels like just yesterday mine was brand new.......and now I'm starring down 5 years come this April.

Redroad 01-12-2018 11:51 AM

Keep my stock bumper and shocks?

Does anyone have thoughts on whether I ​​​should ​​​​keep my stock Rubicon bumper and shocks?

Wuebben.2 01-12-2018 12:02 PM

I always liked look of the stock rubi with the end caps removed. I have a Sport and my plan was always to buy one if I could find it cheap enough, but everyone I could find want $1000 or more for it.

Smudgeontheglass 01-16-2018 06:56 AM

I've had Nitto Trail Grapplers on my jeep for a few years now, while they're seemingly unstoppable off-road, they trade that for poor on-road handling because of how heavy they are. Stock shocks wear out fairly fast with off-road use and if you're lifting your Jeep you want to make sure you get ones that are long enough to handle the lift. The stock plastic bumpers are worth taking off if you actually do rip around off-road as they do not take any abuse before denting and bending.

Rednroll 01-16-2018 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4311888)
I personally don't feel like bumpers need to match. It does annoy me a bit to see several different manufacturer logos at one time in general, but that's never really the case with a front/rear bumper combo. Congrats on the new ride. Feels like just yesterday mine was brand new.......and now I'm starring down 5 years come this April.

Yeah, I'm in the non matching bumper club and it doesn't bother me.

In my mod steps I wanted to mount a winch and the only front bumper I really liked the looks of to do so at that time was the AEV front, but didn't really care for their rear.

Completed those front bumper mods, less than a year later the 10A bumpers came out which I really liked as well. I probably would have went with the 10A front if it was available when I added the winch. I ended up going with the 10A rear last summer. So I have an AEV front paired with a 10A rear and I don't mind it at all.

However, if anyone ever wants to trade me for a complete AEV front setup for a complete 10A front bumper setup which includes the winch plate, skid plate, and tow hooks like I have with the front AEV then I wouldn't be opposed to that either. ;)

jeepmojo 01-18-2018 09:51 AM

i agree with SpicedCrusher !

just chill a bit on mods till you know what you actually want. I like taking the time to figure whats actually needed over just want.
mines a 2012 rubicon i ordered new and i still have my rear stock bumper lol I did not even lift mine due to the fact i really dont need that for my use. and that money can be used elsewhere. A stock rubicon is ready to roll in my opinion . i had a sport 2011 i traded in because i was going to have to add all kinds of stuff just to do what i wanted it to do. The rubicon purchase was perfect for my needs just as it is stock form , If i was into rocks yeh i can see adding lift and all the skids and so on. but really just see what you need as time goes on, i added a oil pan skid for protection other than that just a few small changes. I love mine just as it is. No its not gonna win Jeep of the year award lol . but it does what i need it to do. and didnt send me into credit card debt. So i Agree with what was mentioned . Its better to take your time. But every one has a different idea of how to build your jeep i guess. I would not match bumpers. just for a matching brand. id go with what you feel will work for your use . right now my plastic factory bumper isnt even damaged so why replace it , when it dosent see much impact.