Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My last ditch effort before the shop. NSS

Old 07-30-2018, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My last ditch effort before the shop. NSS

I have been Googling like crazy trying to find where my neutral safety switch is located. All I am finding is posts about automatic transmissions. I have a manual. I cannot start my Jeep unless the clutch in all the way. However, when I look at the top of the clutch arm, I cannot see anything electrical connected to hit. I don't see anything mechanical either. Just a plunger. I tried to look on the other side of the firewall, but could not find where my clutch comes through. I could not find it.

I have to have the clutch all the way in to start the Jeep. How does the Jeep know when the clutch is all the way in? Even in neutral, I have to have the clutch all the way in. If there is a neutral safety switch, I would like to find it and try and replace it if I think it is bad. On the automatics, I think it is in the transmission itself.

Thanks guys. I am trying everything to prevent an expensive bill at the dealership.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

While I don't have the location of the NSS, going to 4lo will eliminate the need of any clutch to start the jeep. If it still doesn't start consistently in 4lo then you could rule out the NSS.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah I thought NSS were on autos. Is there not a switch on the clutch pedal? That would be my guess (as you push in the clutch pedal it would depress a switch). Just a thought.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Google "clutch starter safety switch". JK part number that I found is: 68029261AA and 19132-0562062 (partsgeek.com)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I think the NSS is also on the manual, my remote start won't start in gear (thankfully) so there's got to be something that tells the jeep that it's not in a gear. I've set the remote start in neutral then moved it to a gear just to be sure it wouldn't start.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by prelucir
I have been Googling like crazy trying to find where my neutral safety switch is located. All I am finding is posts about automatic transmissions. I have a manual. I cannot start my Jeep unless the clutch in all the way. However, when I look at the top of the clutch arm, I cannot see anything electrical connected to hit. I don't see anything mechanical either. Just a plunger. I tried to look on the other side of the firewall, but could not find where my clutch comes through. I could not find it.

I have to have the clutch all the way in to start the Jeep. How does the Jeep know when the clutch is all the way in? Even in neutral, I have to have the clutch all the way in. If there is a neutral safety switch, I would like to find it and try and replace it if I think it is bad. On the automatics, I think it is in the transmission itself.

Thanks guys. I am trying everything to prevent an expensive bill at the dealership.
The clutch safety switch is on the passenger side of the transmission housing and if looking from the transfer case it will be about the 3 oclock postion. Check to make sure the connector is plugged in. I believe you can change it out without removing the transmission.

R/
Will
Old 07-31-2018, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

According to the JK factory service manual...

The manual transmission doesn't have a neutral safety switch. There is, however, a clutch pedal position switch.
The clutch pedal position switch is attached to the side of the clutch master cylinder.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-31-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

I did crawl under the Jeep to look at the transmission. Every connection I could find was connected. I cannot see inside the clutch master cylinder. The Jeep is now in the shop. I am pretty certain something in the ignition system stopped working. Either a broken ignition switch or the WCM. I should something next week.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

Update: After more than two weeks at the dealership sitting topless in the rain I am finally hearing back. It bugs me because they have been blowing smoke up my butt for a week now. Finally I told them I was going to tow my Jeep to another dealership. Man called me back in one hour and said, "It is your timp and we can have if fixed tomorrow." Was that so hard? So tomorrow is today. I will see if it gets done. $1400.00 to replace my TIMP.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

So that I am not running so many posts on this issue any more. It combines with this post. If your interested in following along, please post on the following link.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...2/#post4327133

Quick Reply: My last ditch effort before the shop. NSS