Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My outside tailgate VENT FLAPS fell apart?

Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by NVW-SSV
Is the part # different for 2007-2009? I have an '08 and I'm going to need one in the near future
There is a different shape for some years--but as you can see it's not very expensive. 05065432AC is for 2007.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mark.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a very bad dust leak in the back of my 08 too and found a little rubber flap laying on my garage floor. That got my curiosity and I found the tailgate exhauster only had 1 of the ten flaps it should have. So I just got the new one and it is the 5065432AC part#. $20.25 from Jeep. I was sad to find the new one is exactly like the first one so I can expect the same problem in the future as well. Jeep obviously knew there was a problem so instead of fixing this one they changed to a better size and style in 2011. I'm sorry the new one won't fit my 2008. The good news is you only have to remove the spare tire. The bracket can stay in place with ample room to remove the old and install the new. I know I will be dust free for a while anyway.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

I had my square vent panel fall apart when I was installing a cb antenna and the Jeep was less than a year old...

Matthew
Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soberbyker
Thank you!
Old 05-09-2017, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

I duct taped mine off and placed a PS tramp stamp over it. Been fine for a few years now.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can seal it off if you have a soft top, lots of room in the fabric and zippers for air to escape from. You cannot run without it on the hard top. Your heater basically doesn't work without it and the doors won't want to close without lowering a window.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
You can seal it off if you have a soft top, lots of room in the fabric and zippers for air to escape from. You cannot run without it on the hard top. Your heater basically doesn't work without it and the doors won't want to close without lowering a window.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Very true, I have witnessed it.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heh, I was speaking from experience... I put a new tire carrier on in the spring right after the soft top went on. It blocked the vent. I was modifying the vent plate on the driveway in the middle of November trying to get heat in my Jeep again!
The following users liked this post:
desertbuzz (03-09-2021)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
Heh, I was speaking from experience... I put a new tire carrier on in the spring right after the soft top went on. It blocked the vent. I was modifying the vent plate on the driveway in the middle of November trying to get heat in my Jeep again!
^^

My vent was in terrible shape after 3 years of being garage kept. I can see how the little flaps fall off so easily as they are very fragile to begin with, but what got me was the condition of the outer seal which had really deteriorated. I relocated my plate with a PS tramp stamp and removed that vent while routing the electrical to my plate lights. it's barely sitting in place now. Can't tell cuz the tramp stamp, but what a pos. The outside seal was as useful as stretched out elastic on a pair of old gym shorts.

Quick Reply: My outside tailgate VENT FLAPS fell apart?