Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts on lifts

Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome write up! This should be stickied and posted as "required reading" for Jeep owners thinking of doing any mods.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide9
Awesome write up! This should be stickied and posted as "required reading" for Jeep owners thinking of doing any mods.
haha I can tell you're a fellow engineer!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well put!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on the money, OP! If I were anywhere in your area (or if I ever find myself there), I'd buy you a couple rounds. Great info here!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Really good info here! I learned a lot about parts i wasn't too sure what they really did!

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Yes that should be fine.

I find it comical that people think they need to build their jeep to the hilt when they only run off road 3-4 times a year or wheel dirt trails and fire roads. A stock jeep will handle those trails just fine with the exception of a JKU on steep camelbacks.

Tires are going to gain you the most in the off road capabilities, followed by gears, and lockers. Lifts imo are just adjustments so that you can properly run bigger tires.
I understand how it could look unjustifiable building an awesomely wheelable rig when you only wheel it a few time a year, but the way I see it is that if your doing something to your rig, do it right the first time! It'll probably save you a lot of headaches down the road!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

... Tires are going to gain you the most in the off road capabilities, followed by gears, and lockers. Lifts imo are just adjustments so that you can properly run bigger tires.
I couldn't agree more with this. You've done an excellent job discussing why one shouldn't go any higher in lift than required for the tires they will run. And the tires they will run should be driven by what they plan to do with their Jeep.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great read!! It's taken me a few years and 3+ rigs built to get to the mindset I have that less is more.

Originally Posted by jadmt
This needs to be a stickie. it is awesome.

So in your opinion for a non extreme ie black diamond type trails is say running a 2" spacer lift with 33-34" tires safe and sufficient?
That is what my rig is running now, and I am happy with it. A friend and I both bought our JKUs within a week of each other (used).. Both about the same price. I even looked at his rig 1st. He ended up with a JKU on 3.5" lift and 35s. I ended up with the JKU Rubicon 2" spacer lift and 33s.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes that should be fine.

I find it comical that people think they need to build their jeep to the hilt when they only run off road 3-4 times a year or wheel dirt trails and fire roads. A stock jeep will handle those trails just fine with the exception of a JKU on steep camelbacks.

Tires are going to gain you the most in the off road capabilities, followed by gears, and lockers. Lifts imo are just adjustments so that you can properly run bigger tires.
Or to get the belly of a 4dr over that log/ledge/etc.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default thanks agree with all said

I had lifted trucks before too and it didn't give the axle clearance only tires did that ! that's why people ask if ill lift mine and I say no prob not I run 33s and actual height is 32 lol on my trail grapplers im happy the way it is pretty much however do you know what shocks would be better for my rubicon over stock and durable ones too that will last???? the winters are harsh in nh and salt eats away at all shocks too but
I find the rubicon stock shocks a bit rigid it might be a good thing cuz we don't need to much spongeyness either are those blisitine shocks much better and do they make them for stock rubicons ? anyway thanks for all this useful info

I like my stock tires too ! realy not bad for most off roading unless your realy wheeling it a lot and good on gas as well 35s can look nice no doubt but 32 or 33 s is realy fine for most people I think its mostly looks is why people do this
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7529.JPG
Views:	2751
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	505317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8801.jpg
Views:	2560
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	505318  
Old 10-15-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this! Awesome post especially for a newbie like me. I now better understand what does what (and doesn't) and what I need to focus on.

P.S. My pocket book thanks you as well

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts