JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   My thoughts on lifts (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-thoughts-lifts-288269/)

k0260 01-10-2014 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 3806806)
Its a great system if you like throwing money away. What a rip off.

yeah cost wise I hear ya:yup:

catahoula 01-10-2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by karls (Post 3806756)
Mopar kits probably use limiting straps to prevent the driveshaft from dropping too far as to limit the claims and issues they may have.

I'm all for actual limiting straps instead of folks using their brakelines as limiters :banghead:

I would like to add down the road when I upgrade my suspension.

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 3806757)
You are correct and to date I have only seen them offered in that kit. Too bad about the rest of the lift. They typically cost between $20-$30 each and can be bought from many places.

It does seem like an inexpensive insurance.

TheDirtman 01-10-2014 06:53 PM

Limiting straps really should be added to all aftermarket lifts imo.

HardRooster 01-11-2014 09:33 AM

Ditman, can you point me to a resource to learn the fundamentals of suspension dynamics? Perhaps one that May bias towards what we talk about here, solid axles, off roading? I'm not learning much from forums posts, I think I need a book. Suggestions? Even if I just end up with a bolt on kit, I'd like to know what I'm looking at before I pull the trigger.

Maertz 01-11-2014 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by HardRooster (Post 3807205)
Ditman, can you point me to a resource to learn the fundamentals of suspension dynamics? Perhaps one that May bias towards what we talk about here, solid axles, off roading? I'm not learning much from forums posts, I think I need a book. Suggestions? Even if I just end up with a bolt on kit, I'd like to know what I'm looking at before I pull the trigger.

Dirtman sent me this awhile back when i was looking at a 4 link calculator and struggling to find out my sprng mass cg. It has a ton of info on other things though also.

Suspension Encyclopedia/4Wheel Underground

itsthelaw 01-12-2014 04:57 AM

Pictures would be good for some of us!

ABENDX 01-12-2014 07:07 AM

I find many of the car racing forums are very good at learning about suspension. They aren't specific to our use, but the theory applies, just the same. Use Google and search on specific topics.... Instant Center, Separation, Wheelbase, 3-link, 4-link, anti-roll center, blah, blah, blah.... will all get you some more detailed info. Remember, the theory is the same, you just have to apply it to long travel that's important to us.

One thing to note is that JK specific info is going to be very difficult to track down. You have the two major JK sites and that is basically it.... and you'll find just a small handful that has walked down the path of custom suspension, etc.. Of those, most were done in a shop, so the owner really doesn't know his rig. Much of the info on these sites is either advertiser driven or fan boy mayhem. PBB maybe your best resource for these kinds of things as they pertain to us and many folks there either built their junk or do it for a living.... best to go there with a little bit of humility and show you aren't looking for a handout. Trust me... if someone asks if it's Tuesday, you're asking the wrong questions and likely in the wrong spot.

planman 01-12-2014 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by ABENDX (Post 3807864)
I find many of the car racing forums are very good at learning about suspension. They aren't specific to our use, but the theory applies, just the same. Use Google and search on specific topics.... Instant Center, Separation, Wheelbase, 3-link, 4-link, anti-roll center, blah, blah, blah.... will all get you some more detailed info. Remember, the theory is the same, you just have to apply it to long travel that's important to us. One thing to note is that JK specific info is going to be very difficult to track down. You have the two major JK sites and that is basically it.... and you'll find just a small handful that has walked down the path of custom suspension, etc.. Of those, most were done in a shop, so the owner really doesn't know his rig. Much of the info on these sites is either advertiser driven or fan boy mayhem. PBB maybe your best resource for these kinds of things as they pertain to us and many folks there either built their junk or do it for a living.... best to go there with a little bit of humility and show you aren't looking for a handout. Trust me... if someone asks if it's Tuesday, you're asking the wrong questions and likely in the wrong spot.

The pirate4x4 hardcore tech jeep thread with links to different builds is definitely a great place to see what is possible:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ps-thread.html

karls 01-12-2014 07:27 AM

Pbb is not for those who want to know if you can fit 35's on stock suspension or if you can run 37's on your 30.......you've been warned.

HardRooster 01-12-2014 07:59 AM

I was on PBB years ago when I had the K5 rock crawler. It's just so huge now I can't find anything.

Thanks for all the links. Helping out already.

I'm having fantasies that exceeded my budget, like building a stock class or stock mod class KOH racer. In all reality, I won't likely be touching the stock suspension any time in 2014. It'll be a stretch just to get the tires I want unless my other house sells. Two mortgages sucks!