JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   My thoughts on lifts (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-thoughts-lifts-288269/)

DunnyBunny 05-08-2015 06:15 AM


Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4096611)
I would say bigger tires make the jeep look better, not a lift. Tall jeeps with small tires just look dumb. Same thing with big wheels and small tires like a 20" wheel running 33's.

Completely agree. 6" lift with 35s looks silly. 6" with 40s or 42s little better. 40s and 4" lift = freaking awesome. I also like a balance between wheels and tire size also. I think 17" is a good size for 33-37" tires. I only like a 20" wheel with 40s or bigger and honestly I dint really like 20s on a JK. Maybe a big chevy, toyota, dodge, or ford truck.

Az scooter 05-08-2015 06:40 AM

I found this thread fascinating. A guy comes on and posts a diatribe against any kind of lift, that may or may not have been totally without merit, and with out establishing any credentials, other than what he runs, everyone takes it as gospel.

I am not being critical of Dirtman. I think that there is a lot of merit to what he says, and I run a 4" lift and 35's every day. I just think it is funny how quickly people automatically agree with what he said.

jedg 05-08-2015 06:50 AM


Originally Posted by Az scooter (Post 4096633)
I found this thread fascinating. A guy comes on and posts a diatribe against any kind of lift, that may or may not have been totally without merit, and with out establishing any credentials, other than what he runs, everyone takes it as gospel.

I am not being critical of Dirtman. I think that there is a lot of merit to what he says, and I run a 4" lift and 35's every day. I just think it is funny how quickly people automatically agree with what he said.

Hrm. Not being critical except for the first paragraph.

As for his credentials. Yeah. Do some research into the best credentials you can have; experience. Advice from him and Planman have been spot on. My little experience has taught me that.

dog 05-08-2015 07:16 AM


Originally Posted by Az scooter (Post 4096633)
I found this thread fascinating. A guy comes on and posts a diatribe against any kind of lift, that may or may not have been totally without merit, and with out establishing any credentials, other than what he runs, everyone takes it as gospel.

I am not being critical of Dirtman. I think that there is a lot of merit to what he says, and I run a 4" lift and 35's every day. I just think it is funny how quickly people automatically agree with what he said.

How condescending can you be to claim the people in agreement with him just "take it as gospel" and "automatically agree". :mad:

On top of that, you didn't read the thread if you're so quick to call it a "diatribe against any kind of lift". He's very clear about what he deems appropriate and useful, and what is just uninformed bandwagon "plz help need lift".

Dirt gets a lot of people in agreement with him because he's shown consistently to be one of the most authoritative posters here and on other forums. Dive a little into his history, check out his builds. The burden is not on him to establish credentials to you, when he's widely-known to have the experience and knowledge that very few others have. He offers his advice free of charge, and has been a huge influence and source of knowledge for a lot of builds, even beyond his own.

TL;DR - Read more, show some respect (to the members here, and to Dirtman). We're not all idiots (although I'm definitely an idiot a lot of the time :blush:).

jadmt 05-08-2015 07:47 AM


Originally Posted by Az scooter (Post 4096633)
I found this thread fascinating. A guy coms on without merit, and with out establishing any credentials, other than what he runs, everyone takes it as gospel.

I am not being critical of Az scooter. I don't think that there is a lot of merit to what he says, even if he runs a 4" lift and 35's every day. I just think it is funny how quickly people automatically disagree with what he said.

even funnier how quickly they will disagree with what you said.

TheDirtman 05-10-2015 04:00 PM


Originally Posted by Az scooter (Post 4096633)
I found this thread fascinating. A guy comes on and posts a diatribe against any kind of lift, that may or may not have been totally without merit, and with out establishing any credentials, other than what he runs, everyone takes it as gospel.

I am not being critical of Dirtman. I think that there is a lot of merit to what he says, and I run a 4" lift and 35's every day. I just think it is funny how quickly people automatically agree with what he said.

What would you like to know about me? I am not sure if I even mentioned what I run, but being totally custom it is not for the target audience I wrote the thread for but falls into the theory I describe here. Anybody is free to run what ever size lift they want I just tried to explain the components of the system and what changing heights affects.

Tooadvanced 05-10-2015 05:04 PM


Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4097553)

What would you like to know about me? I am not sure if I even mentioned what I run, but being totally custom it is not for the target audience I wrote the thread for but falls into the theory I describe here. Anybody is free to run what ever size lift they want I just tried to explain the components of the system and what changing heights affects.

I guess ppl could just pick up the newest issue of jp mag and see that u know your shit. There is a reason that dirtmans stuff gets featured in mags

DunnyBunny 05-10-2015 05:44 PM


Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4097553)

What would you like to know about me? I am not sure if I even mentioned what I run, but being totally custom it is not for the target audience I wrote the thread for but falls into the theory I describe here. Anybody is free to run what ever size lift they want I just tried to explain the components of the system and what changing heights affects.

I actually for one want to know what you ran and how you did it as I may have questions if I ever do mine one day

TheDirtman 05-10-2015 08:18 PM

I have run a couple different OME coils, JKS control arms, JKS ACOS, Clayton coils and long arms on a TJ. Installed rock krawler, metal cloak, clayton kits on friends jeeps. Run bilstien 5100, 5160, 7100 shocks, OME nitro sport shocks, EVO tuned king coil overs, and currently run King coil overs tuned for crawling although they run good thru the desert at 50 mph with the 2" air bumps. Current long arms are custom and I am using 4 or 5 different joints with no issues. On the JK I have run lift sized at 2" 3" 4" and 5.5" both long arm and short. ON the JK I have run 33", 36", 37"and 40" tires.

DunnyBunny 05-10-2015 09:02 PM


Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4097639)
I have run a couple different OME coils, JKS control arms, JKS ACOS, Clayton coils and long arms on a TJ. Installed rock krawler, metal cloak, clayton kits on friends jeeps. Run bilstien 5100, 5160, 7100 shocks, OME nitro sport shocks, EVO tuned king coil overs, and currently run King coil overs tuned for crawling although they run good thru the desert at 50 mph with the 2" air bumps. Current long arms are custom and I am using 4 or 5 different joints with no issues. On the JK I have run lift sized at 2" 3" 4" and 5.5" both long arm and short. ON the JK I have run 33", 36", 37"and 40" tires.

So are you running a simple long arm or a 3 link setup or double triangle or something to that effect?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:50 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands