JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   My thoughts on lifts (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-thoughts-lifts-288269/)

Ringer 05-11-2015 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny (Post 4097648)
So are you running a simple long arm or a 3 link setup or double triangle or something to that effect?

He's running a three link front and double triangulated four link rear.

TheDirtman 05-11-2015 05:06 AM

I run a double triangulated long arm on the rear and a 3 link long arm front. I have run a rear long arm 3 link but was not a fan of that set up.
My build thread is on Jkfreaks.com
The article on me in JP magazine has a couple of errors in it. I run 40" tires not 42" and my jeep is not a dedicated trail rig and I drive it on the road as much as I can.

DunnyBunny 05-11-2015 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4097694)
I run a double triangulated long arm on the rear and a 3 link long arm front. I have run a rear long arm 3 link but was not a fan of that set up.
My build thread is on Jkfreaks.com
The article on me in JP magazine has a couple of errors in it. I run 40" tires not 42" and my jeep is not a dedicated trail rig and I drive it on the road as much as I can.

Nice I still have to check out that article. I'll check out the thread on jkfreaks

mgriffith67 05-14-2015 12:44 PM

Hey Dirtman.. I have what may be a silly question.....

I'm in the process of my build...and in looking at "lifts".. and the best way to get the desired results, I began to wonder something. Ride, is my #1 concern with moderate wheeling (Uwharrie, Rausch Creek, Windrock).. being a close #2. In considering ride, there's the general thought that it's 1) Long Arm 2) Coilover 3) everything else..

Here's my question. If I'm purchasing a "lift kit" say, a MetalCloak Game Changer 2.5... or the RockKrawler 2.5 X-factor.. are the "progressive rate.. or dual rate" springs on those kits comparable to doing a coilover conversion? (assuming shocks are similar like a Fox 2.0)...In other words, if I do a dual/progressive rate spring on a "kit" can I get similar results to having a coilover conversion without having to do the coilover conversion?

Or, should I spend less on a "kit" since I'm going to change out the springs/shocks for a coilover anyway? I could get away with a Fabtech/RubiExpress "base" and just upgrade to coilovers when time/money permits...

TheDirtman 05-14-2015 03:51 PM

No, they would not. You can not get the same performance and adjustability out of a dual or triple rate set up as you can get with a coil over. You need to set up the coil over correctly though and not just throw on a set.

mgriffith67 05-20-2015 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4099281)
No, they would not. You can not get the same performance and adjustability out of a dual or triple rate set up as you can get with a coil over. You need to set up the coil over correctly though and not just throw on a set.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the best best then is to find a decent (less expensive) kit that I can convert to coilovers later in the summer...

DunnyBunny 05-20-2015 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by mgriffith67 (Post 4101490)

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the best best then is to find a decent (less expensive) kit that I can convert to coilovers later in the summer...

I would just get no lift or a budget boost. Why waste the money when you'll eventually be getting coilovers anyways.

meep97 05-20-2015 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny (Post 4101499)
I would just get no lift or a budget boost. Why waste the money when you'll eventually be getting coilovers anyways.

X2

Save the money for coil overs if you plan on getting them this summer

TheDirtman 05-20-2015 07:16 AM

I would agree as you don't know what you actual lift height will be until you are set up. Do some research on coil overs as they generally require cutting and welding new mounts for clearance. There are a couple of bolt on kits out there but they have their limitations.

mgriffith67 05-21-2015 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4101545)
I would agree as you don't know what you actual lift height will be until you are set up. Do some research on coil overs as they generally require cutting and welding new mounts for clearance. There are a couple of bolt on kits out there but they have their limitations.

main reason for the lift "kit" is I still want/need control arms, track bar, stainless steel brake lines...etc... I figure I'd "lose" about $500 in parts (springs/shocks) when I go to a coilover kit...