Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Noise, and Oil Drip

Old 10-25-2016, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Mystery Noise, and Oil Drip

Never ends...

Post wheeling trip, I washed the Jeep and noticed a few things:

1. Under acceleration or coasting, I have a very obnoxious rattle/almost a crunching noise. Sounds like marbles in a can. This only happens in 2nd and 3rd gear (or at least I can't tell in higher gears, due to the noise of the tires). I DID sink my Jeep into a deep mud hole during the last trip, and I DID (like an idiot) push the clutch in to try and reverse out of the hole. My Jeep has 23k miles on it, so I don't think this is going to destroy it my first time? The noise goes away as soon as I push the clutch in.

2. I have an oil pool/slow drip coming from the transmission I've read that this is a common problem on the 6 speed, and is usually attributed to the rear main seal. The problem is I managed to put a nasty dent in my crossmember during this trip...is the dealer going to laugh at me the second I mention warrantying this seal? The dent is a dead giveaway that I wheel it...

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions

Last edited by BoraBora; 10-25-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long were you stuck in the mud hole? What's your fluid look like?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Probably 5 minutes. I haven't checked the fluid yet, as I heard just getting to the drain valve is a process in itself.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Probably 5 minutes. I haven't checked the fluid yet, as I heard just getting to the drain valve is a process in itself.
Shoot idk. Maybe you tapped the transmission in a way that caused it to leak. And also could have potentially let water and crap get inside. Causing all the issues.

Just a thought

Quick Reply: Mystery Noise, and Oil Drip