JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Need help clutch line leaking (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/need-help-clutch-line-leaking-291411/)

Big Buger 11-30-2013 10:42 AM

Need help clutch line leaking

Seeing of anyone has had this problem and what they did to fix.
Ok the trans line going into to slave cylinder leaks and then I get dead peddle and loose clutch pressure. Only seems to happen when it's cold?

karls 11-30-2013 01:10 PM

Have you pulled the slave down and made sure that the clip is on there to hold the line on? People report losing an o-ring that sits down in there and could lead to the leak but it would be a problem all the time, not just when it's cold.

A new slave is ~$80. Pulling it down doesn't take any time at all......2- 15mm bolts (IIRC) and then GENTLY pull it out, be sure not to lose the rubber cap. Bleeding it is a pain in the ass but not worth the $1000 the dealership wants to R&R the slave. I took 30 mins for the whole thing.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Mark Doiron 11-30-2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by karls (Post 3769826)
... Bleeding it is a pain in the ass but not worth the $1000 the dealership wants to R&R the slave. I took 30 mins for the whole thing....

I fully agree that everyone should do this job instead of paying the dealer. However, last year I got caught in the middle of nowhere on a 4,000 mile trip without assistance and had to pay the dealer. $275 or so, including parts.

karls 11-30-2013 03:12 PM

Mine quoted me $1000, I wonder why they elected to mark it up so much. The $275 isn't a bad price.

MMXJKU 11-30-2013 03:23 PM

Where are you located?

Mark Doiron 11-30-2013 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by MMXJKU (Post 3769922)
Where are you located?

Not sure who that's directed at, but as regards my paying for the slave cylinder swap, that was in Pendleton, OR.

Mark Doiron 11-30-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by karls (Post 3769912)
Mine quoted me $1000, I wonder why they elected to mark it up so much. The $275 isn't a bad price.

And when you figure an hour or so for labor, seems just about right. As you wrote, it's an easy task (I've since changed one myself), as long as the bleeding goes well, and you don't lose that infernal "not-an-O" ring (I did, but later found it).

Big Buger 11-30-2013 05:10 PM

Thanks guys I got under it and played around with it. Cleaned it up, pulled the line out and found dirt around it everywhere. Cleaned everything really good ( and the rubber gasket cap thing ) installed the line back on. Had my 9 year old some pump the clutch peddle a couple dozen time lol and bled the system and it now is working fine. I did notice the fluid was like a milky color so I might try and bleed all the old fluid out.

karls 11-30-2013 05:15 PM

If the fluid was bad then you should bleed your entire system. The brakes and clutch operate off of the same pool of fluid.

Big Buger 12-03-2013 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by karls (Post 3770202)
If the fluid was bad then you should bleed your entire system. The brakes and clutch operate off of the same pool of fluid. Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

just flushed all the fluid and works just fine. Thanks