Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB, sPod, CO2 ideas and options.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ARB, sPod, CO2 ideas and options.

With installing new axles with lockers on my '13 JKU I will end up with front and rear ARB lockers and they will come with the basic compressor.

I had been looking at upgrading the compressor to the ARB twin package deal (compressor, mount, hoses, inflation gauge, etc.). With looking at the price of the ARB twin package I have begun to really contemplate a couple of options if I look at spending that amount.

Option A: Buy the ARB twin package.

Option B: Buy a new 8 switch sPod as mine is only 6 and I currently use 4. With adding the compressor with front/rear lockers I would end up with 7 switches. With this option, I could transfer my current 6 switch model over to my Dad's JK. I could also look at just using the ARB unit that is coming with the axles and look at CO2 for tires. The CO2 would have the advantage of being portable.

Thoughts/opinion on this? Which option and why?

Also, if looking at getting an 8 switch sPod would you go with switched panel or the touch screen? Which one and why?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The decision on ARB dual compressor or CO2 tank is one that will always be dependent on how much you would use it. For me, the places I wheel have compressors that I can use to air up after wheeling. One thing to also remember about CO2 tanks is that they have to behydrostaic checked every 5-8 years. One other thing think about is how you will fill the tank. With the ARB compressor you will always have air available and not have to take up storage space for the CO2 bottle.

As for the sPOD I would go with the touch screen because you can locate the panel where it is convenient.

R/
Will
Old 01-03-2018, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like the ARB twin may be the way to go.

I guess I could throw out the option of another 8 switch system that may be available in lieu of the sPod.

What do you all like best and why? sPod, Strike Force Zebra, Painless, Apollointech, STech, other?
Old 01-03-2018, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

The ole air compressor vs. CO2 debate will rage on for eons....like Canvas alluded to. I've gone down that road myself, and I opted for the twin ARB. It was a harder choice for me as I have the e-lockers, so it really is only for airing up. That said, sucker is there with me all the time. I've used it for several things, and I've helped random strangers with it as well. I had CO2 for a planted aquarium, and just getting that tank filled up once a year was a PITA. I did not want to deal with doing that for the jeep on a more often basis.....and I didn't want to deal with storing the tank or mounting it in my jeep. I also have 6 switch sPOD. I trigger the compressor off 1, 2 are dedicated to front/rear lockers, 1 to a-pillar and bumper lights tied together, another to rock lights, and last to rear lights mounted on my rear roll bar. IDK.....I always wonder how many more switches does one need....6 is plenty for me, and I could have 7 if I used the ARB switch separately.

Surprised nobody has shown up here yet to throw the flames on sPOD and the twin ARB due to how redonk the prices are.....but I'm sure they will

When it comes to the touch screen controls, I'm on the fence. I'm the kind of person that likes a physical switch to flip rather than a screen to touch that gives no sensation feedback, but that is just personal preference.

Last edited by resharp001; 01-03-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I run the ARB twin and the switch pros system. It's about 250 cheaper than spod and it works great. Has Bluetooth and is programmable momentary/flashing/strobe/memory and low voltage cut off all kinds of possibilities. It isn't as clean under the hood but it works great.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're going to spend the money on the twin, go the extra mile and add a couple gallon tank and air chucks front and rear so you don't have to lift the hood to hookup a hose and air up. I've got a manifold under the hood that runs the ARB solenoids and then dumps down to a tank mounted to the frame and tucked away out of harms way.. Having the CO2 is a nice backup, but not something I'd run as a primary as there will be the one time that the tank is empty when you really need it.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I vote for the ARB twin. I use mine all the time for other stuff- airing up other people's tires, using tools, blowing up mattresses when camping, blowing up beach balls at the beach. And while it's nice to wheel at places that supply air, sometimes you'll still need to air up on the trail like if your aired-down tire gets pulled off the bead while wheeling (this happened to me, and my ARB got me back to the trailhead).

And some time in the future, I'll still get a SPOD
Old 01-08-2018, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

IMO...just use the std little ARB compressor, mount it behind the rear passenger tail light.
Then get a Powertank and have all 4 tires filled before anyone using any other method.
I can fill my 40's before most guys with 35's get one done.

Same for air downs, get either RAD's or Jantz J-Flaters same thing fastest cheap way to air down
Old 01-11-2018, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with a system that includes a tank. I am running the Kleinn JKOBA system on mine, but run a Viair system on my Raptor.

Quick Reply: ARB, sPod, CO2 ideas and options.