Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Starscan instructions to change tire size (Dealer is clueless)

Old 02-03-2007, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Starscan instructions to change tire size (Dealer is clueless)

Hi Folks,

My son has an X and put on 285 70 17 tires (about 32.6 inches). I asked the dealer to use their Starscan system to change the tire setting to the 32 inch size and he says that it cannot be done. I explained that the x comes with either 29.5 inch tires (225 75 16), 30.5 inch tires (245 75 16) or the optional 32 inch tires (255 75 17) and that there must be a way to switch the settings between them. The service director told me he was certain that there was no way to do it but if I could tell him how he would try it. So, can someone tell me the menu selections and steps within the Starscan system that the dealer uses to change to the factory 32 inch tire size? He says he even called the "hotline" and confirmed that I was wrong but I don't believe him.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-03-2007, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been down this route with them as well, they can only program for stock tire sizes. I have Nitto Terra Grapplers (265/75/16) which are 31.4" and the closest they can program is within 2 mph at 60 mph. It reads 2 mph fast another words. I am going to wait until one of the tuners comes out with a tuner that changes for tire size.
Jim
Old 02-03-2007, 04:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jameswharton
I have been down this route with them as well, they can only program for stock tire sizes. I have Nitto Terra Grapplers (265/75/16) which are 31.4" and the closest they can program is within 2 mph at 60 mph. It reads 2 mph fast another words. I am going to wait until one of the tuners comes out with a tuner that changes for tire size.
Jim
Hi JIm,

Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry if my question wasn't clear. The dealer told me he cannot change from one factory size to another factory size. So if the JK came with the smaller factory 30.5 inch tires he cannot change it to the larger factory 32 inch size and it has to stay with the smaller setting. I think he's BSing me but I need the Starscan instructions/menu options to tell him how to change it to the 32 inch size (which will get me close enough) as he doesn't want to waste his techs time exploring for a setting that he doesn't think he can change. Anybody know the steps for me to tell this dealer how to operate his own Starscan tool?

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 02-03-2007, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaulW
Hi JIm,

Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry if my question wasn't clear. The dealer told me he cannot change from one factory size to another factory size. So if the JK came with the smaller factory 30.5 inch tires he cannot change it to the larger factory 32 inch size and it has to stay with the smaller setting. I think he's BSing me but I need the Starscan instructions/menu options to tell him how to change it to the 32 inch size (which will get me close enough) as he doesn't want to waste his techs time exploring for a setting that he doesn't think he can change. Anybody know the steps for me to tell this dealer how to operate his own Starscan tool?

Thanks again,
Paul
He's definitely mistaken, they can change it to any stock tire size, this guy just doesn't know how. I'd say find a new dealer, if possible, I wouldn't let this guy near my Jeep with a wrench.

-E
Old 02-03-2007, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He can do it,, just had my x done, had the 225's but they would only do the 245's as my mtr's are 245's,, but they are an inch taller than the gy st 245's? I wanted the 32's size put in so my esp would calm down. Go to a better dealer, one that does more jeep work.
Steve
Old 02-03-2007, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Tire size change for X model

They are able to change your size with the Starscan system. Sorry I don't have the steps, but I've had it done twice now.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/help-esp-activation-through-normal-corners-2722/

The more you read posts in this forum, the more you're going to find people having trouble with this new JK after lifts and larger tires. Hope the aftermarket guys come up with a solution for us because the dealers and DC aren't being very accommodating so far.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

I wouldnt let those guys touch my jeep if they cant use starscan.......it is pretty simple. They must be great technicians.

Quick Reply: Need help with Starscan instructions to change tire size (Dealer is clueless)