Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more stopping power

Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterRat72
15 JKUR. 3" lift on 35's. Stock brakes.

Recommendations? Shooting for under $1,000
Our ProGrip system fits into your budget, and can be installed by just you, no second set of hands necessary. With the ProGrip system you don't have to replace the calipers, so no need to bleed the brakes. Our combo of specially formulated pads combined with large rotors that give the brakes more leverage to stop the rotating mass of the wheels and vehicle.

Here's a link to the ProGrip page on our website. You'll find links there to a pair of different installation stories with before and after results, along with a great video that shows the difference.

https://www.dynatrac.com/brake-syste...e-jeep-jk.html
Old 06-14-2017, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I can tell you what won't get you stopping power- hawk lts pads and vented rotors. I'd like to move to a larger rotor kit when funding permits. Hawk pads have less than impressed me in my time with them.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dynatrac ProGrip is really the way to go. Completely bolt on. No jacking with your calipers. It just works, and works very well. The TF kit is a major PITA and if you don't swap out the brake booster you won't like it. Go with the Dynatrac ProGrip, you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by aermotor
Dynatrac ProGrip is really the way to go. Completely bolt on. No jacking with your calipers. It just works, and works very well. The TF kit is a major PITA and if you don't swap out the brake booster you won't like it. Go with the Dynatrac ProGrip, you won't be disappointed.
Teraflex has two different setups. A 'Big Rotor' upgrade, their version of the Dynatrac progrip. And a front-only 'Big Brake' kit, which is their version of the Mopar front-only rotor/caliper/booster upgrade. People so far have been referring to the Rotor upgrade.

The dynatrac kit comes with their own grippy brake pads. TF's kit does not include pads, you choose your own. After adding pads to the TF kit, it ends up a few hundred cheaper than the Dynatrac option. (I paid $600 for front/rear TF rotor kits through Amazon, and another 130 for pads. Compared to 1000 for the progrip. I have a pr44 up front, only reason I chose TF was the price difference...)
Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When i went to 37's I started needing more stopping power and when with a slotted disc/pad front and rear package which helped a little. It's was when I moved to 40's that I realized that I was now dangerous and had to do something (full stomp on the brakes felt like I was just downshifting). I went with the TF big brake kit and master cylinder kit with big bore and now I can lock the 40's on dry pavement. Should have done that from the beginning and got both under 1k on amazon
Old 06-15-2017, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Teraflex has two different setups. A 'Big Rotor' upgrade, their version of the Dynatrac progrip. And a front-only 'Big Brake' kit, which is their version of the Mopar front-only rotor/caliper/booster upgrade. People so far have been referring to the Rotor upgrade. The dynatrac kit comes with their own grippy brake pads. TF's kit does not include pads, you choose your own. After adding pads to the TF kit, it ends up a few hundred cheaper than the Dynatrac option. (I paid $600 for front/rear TF rotor kits through Amazon, and another 130 for pads. Compared to 1000 for the progrip. I have a pr44 up front, only reason I chose TF was the price difference...)
What pads you go with? Those caliper brackets fit stock sized pads?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
What pads you go with? Those caliper brackets fit stock sized pads?
Hawk LTS. They were getting great reviews when I bought them. Not-so-good reviews lately, lots of people talking about excessive brake dust. (they stop me just fine, but yeah, they do produce more dust than I would like.)

Yes, the brackets are designed to work with the stock calipers and pads.

One thing I found annoying is that the front TF 'big rotor' brackets are not interchangeable with the 'big brake' brackets. I figured I would start with the rotor upgrade, then add the calipers and booster later. But no dice.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Hawk LTS. They were getting great reviews when I bought them. Not-so-good reviews lately, lots of people talking about excessive brake dust. (they stop me just fine, but yeah, they do produce more dust than I would like.) Yes, the brackets are designed to work with the stock calipers and pads. One thing I found annoying is that the front TF 'big rotor' brackets are not interchangeable with the 'big brake' brackets. I figured I would start with the rotor upgrade, then add the calipers and booster later. But no dice.
I use the lts pads in the rear no dust. In the front I use the cheap autozone pads and I gotta say they work surprisingly well. Stops my heavy 2 dr on 37s just fine
Old 06-15-2017, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I'm ordering the Dynatrac ProGrip's on Monday.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WaterRat72
Thanks for the input guys. I'm ordering the Dynatrac ProGrip's on Monday.
That is great! I also went the ProGrip brakes and have never been disappointed. Enjoy those brakes!!

Quick Reply: Need more stopping power