Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more stopping power

Old 06-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by casamtb
That's was my point the parts don't even come close to $1k if u add them up. Unless a set of rotors and pads are all of a sudden $400 per axle. Does anyone know if the caliper adapters are set up for the stock front and rear pad sizes?
The main purpose of the adapters are that you are putting larger diameter rotors on. Therefore the stock adapters will no longer work with the larger size rotors. The calipers would no longer be able to mount due to the increased diameter of the rotor. It's no secret science that a larger diameter rotor with the pads moved out further to the edges of that larger rotor will increase braking power. That's what the adapters do, they move the caliper which holds the pads, out towards the outer edges of the rotor while at the same time allow that caliper adapter to mount to the stock wheel mounting locations. Thus, the end result is that the pads are moved out further onto the rotor edges. There's a mechanical advantage gained by applying pressure out further away from the center of the wheel. Think of a steering wheel, if you have a very small diameter steering wheel, it will be harder to turn the steering wheel when trying to steer, than if you have a very large diameter steering wheel. It's the same mechanical advantages being applied by increasing the size of the rotors.

The size of the rotors that can be used are limited by the size of the wheels. That's a major reason, when you see some of these high performance sports cars, you'll notice they have very large rotors to increase their braking capability, AND they'll additionally have 20in+ size inner diameter wheels to be able to accommodate those larger rotors. The most common wheel size on our JK is a 17in wheel, so that's the limiting factor all these BBK's are working with.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-18-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I get all that... What I was asking if anyone knows are the pad sizes the same or if you buy the pro grip system do you have to buy progrip replacement pads.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I get all that... What I was asking if anyone knows are the pad sizes the same or if you buy the pro grip system do you have to buy progrip replacement pads.
you can use OEM size pads.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Does anyone know if the caliper adapters are set up for the stock front and rear pad sizes?
There are two different types of upgrades being talked about

The Rotor kits (dynatrac and teraflex) will re-use the stock calipers and stock pads, they just include larger rotors and brackets to move the stock calipers further out.

The front-only Big Brake kits (mopar and teraflex) will include larger rotors, new beefier calipers, brackets to move the calipers out, and then possibly some other items like brake lines, boosters, whatever, depending on kit. Apparently these use larger pads.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-18-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
There are two different types of upgrades being talked about - both use stock sized pads.

The Rotor kits (dynatrac and teraflex) will re-use the stock calipers and stock pads, they just include larger rotors and brackets to move the stock calipers further out.

The front-only Big Brake kits (mopar and teraflex) will include larger rotors, new beefier calipers, brackets to move the calipers out, and then possibly some other items like brake lines, boosters, whatever, depending on kit. Even though these have more powerful calipers, they use stock sized pads.
Even though the ProGrip system seems minimalist compared to the others, and I was sceptical too at first, but are all those other parts needed when they do the same job? The reason I say that is that I have driven other JKs with both the Teraflex and Mopar setups, and there is no downgrade in stopping power with the simpler Dynatrac kit, and I actually liked the brake feel better wirh the ProGrip. Personal opinion, of course.
The following users liked this post:
Aaron_engr (05-28-2022)
Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

The size of the pad is limited by the size of the caliper. If the size of the caliper didn't change then an increase in pad size is not possible.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

The front-only Big Brake kits (mopar and teraflex) will include larger rotors, new beefier calipers, brackets to move the calipers out, and then possibly some other items like brake lines, boosters, whatever, depending on kit. Even though these have more powerful calipers, they use stock sized pads.
The Mopar kit doesn't use the same size as stock pads. They're larger than stock. They're the same pads as used on the Ram 1500 which also come with a dual piston caliper. So I guess it matters what you're referencing in regards to stock. Stock JK=no, stock 1500= yes.

When the size of the caliper increases then the pad can increase with it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-18-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Even though the ProGrip system seems minimalist compared to the others, and I was sceptical too at first, but are all those other parts needed when they do the same job? The reason I say that is that I have driven other JKs with both the Teraflex and Mopar setups, and there is no downgrade in stopping power with the simpler Dynatrac kit, and I actually liked the brake feel better wirh the ProGrip. Personal opinion, of course.

I have not tried the front-only caliper upgrades, so have no frame of reference for a comparison. It just makes sense to me that a bunch more clamping force up front, with the weaker stock system in back, would cause more nose dive. And a 4-corner upgrade should provide a more balanced feel.

The Mopar kit doesn't use the same size as stock pads.
Good to know, I didn't catch that when I was comparing the systems deciding which to get. But it makes sense.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-18-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since our pads fit the stock calipers, you can use any OE-type replacement pad if necessary.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two different types of upgrades being talked about

The front-only Big Brake kits (mopar and teraflex) will include larger rotors, new beefier calipers, brackets to move the calipers out, and then possibly some other items like brake lines, boosters, whatever, depending on kit. Apparently these use larger pads.
Our ProGrip kit also includes a set of specially formulated brake pads developed by Dynatrac to work with our ProGrip system and further enhance the increase in stopping power. BUT, you can always use stock-type pads (meaning any pad for a JK you can get from a parts store) if you're ever caught in a situation where getting a replacement set of Dynatrac pads isn't feasible for whatever reason.

Quick Reply: Need more stopping power