Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a programmer to fix speedo on my 2 JK's

Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a programmer to fix speedo on my 2 JK's

Hi,
I have a 2017 and 2018 JK. Both automatic and zero upgrades other than tires. I need a programmer I can fix the speedometer and use the same programmer on both JK's. Maybe turn off the low air signal too.

Thank you,
bigC
Old 02-06-2018, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Unless things have changed recently...

Each JK will need its own programmer.
The programmers lock to the JK's VIN until the program is returned to stock.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

What Ron said. I'm not familiar with any programmer that can be used for both vehicles. Another option would be to take both JKs to the dealership and they can reprogram the tire size for you, but there will be a charge for that service with no tweaking capabilities like can be done with a programmer,
Old 02-06-2018, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

X3. You can't cheap out. Just purchase 2 decent programmers if you really want to correct those issues. Keep in mind that's not money just thrown away. They will retain decent resale value and you can recoup a decent bit of your money later down the road should you ever sell the jeep.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep... they are VIN locked. You have two options. First, purchase two programmers. Second, pay the dealer to make the change for you.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the AEV programmer. Very easy to use!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I am NOT picking on Diggie with my comment, but can someone tell me why on earth people are still buying the AEV procal? The SuperChips Flashcal f5 is right at the same price point. Would you rather use this -

or deal with this -

The AEV seems so archaic.....like using a huge cell phone from 1991 vs. an iPhone X. Maybe I'm just missing something. I get that the AEV might be simple, but some of these others like the FlashCal are dumbie proof and can do so much more....and have user friendly interface.

Again, not picking on Diggie....cuz a lot of people suggest the AEV. Just wondering what I'm missing. I can tell everyone this....my Bullydog is completely frustrating. I'd never suggest one of those.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
but can someone tell me why on earth people are still buying the AEV procal? The SuperChips Flashcal f5 is right at the same price point.
Because people are having issues with superchips products?

Lots of problems with internet downloads/updates.

Horrible tech support when you have an issue where they have to do more than just read a canned answer off a cheatsheet.

I found that the speedo was much more accurate for the ProCal than the FlashPaq. Using 'incorrect' numbers, I could get the flashpaq within 2-3 mph or so of what two different gps's reported, but never closer than that.

There have been several problems/changes/revisions with the way they handle TPMS over the years. (for both tpms disable and lowering pressure.) At one point, I could disable, but was told by their support superstars that the ability to lower psi had been removed for the JK. (Last I heard, you can't take it any lower than 20psi?) And another time, I could not get tpms disable to appear on the screen so I could turn it off, and was again told that the feature was not available for the JK. Spent way too much time talking with them trying to find a tech who had a clue.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I guess that could be....and I get that, cuz part of the issue I have with my BullyDog. The newer F5 units seemed like a big improvement. I had to use one in a pinch when I regeared as my BD was being a PITA. I thought the Flashcal was pretty slick interface and worked seamlessly for me. I didn't care for the previous units necessarily. It just seems like you can do so much more with these other units than you can with the ProCal. I will say that the TPMS features are what lead me to the BullyDog as it was one of the only ones that would lower the low-pressure threshold rather than just turning it off completely.....but I really don't care for the interface itself.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep... what nthinuf said. I have an AEV for my 2011 with no issues. I have a flashcal for my 2016 and had problems with the software updates and, like nthinuf, I had to set the tire size to an incorrect value to get the speedo correct. I don't care much for the AEV 'interface', but it works and it's accurate.

If superchips would get their stuff to work reliably, I'd prefer it over the AEV.

Quick Reply: Need a programmer to fix speedo on my 2 JK's