Need a programmer to fix speedo on my 2 JK's - Page 2 - JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

Notices

Need a programmer to fix speedo on my 2 JK's

Old 02-10-2018, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Really they're both archaic, one just more than the other. I look at my BlueDriver ODB2 diagnostic scanner setup I have and am always left scratching my head as to the reason one of these companies can't make a similar setup for the programmers. You plug an OBD2 wireless dongle into the OBD2 port, you install an app on your smartphone (Apple or Google), then everything is controllable through your smartphone wirelessly.

This would eliminate the stupid thick OBD2 wire and the hassle of it on the SC units.
It would eliminate the troubles people go through of updating the SC units, since the same device you would be using it on, also connects to the internet (your phone).
It would give you a great user interface platform to start with for the AEV devices.
You could pick the screen size you wanted by selecting the device of your choice be it a smartphone or a tablet.
It would be one less device I had to worry about where I put it, or damaging it.
It could likely cost less to purchase, since the bulk of the cost is now built into my smartphone.
You could actually update an AEV unit if it was needed.
You wouldn't need multiple devices for different vehicles, the purchase would be locked to your Google/Apple account via an app.

Maybe we'll see such a device for the JL? I really don't believe how far behind these companies are on the technology of these devices. Someone will eventually step up to the plate, do something similar to what I outlined and that will be the one we all will be buying, or better yet, just design an app, install that app on your android based head unit, and allow you to do all this stuff from the radio.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-10-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Since I just need speed correction I’m going to search for cheapest option than. Thank you
Old 02-13-2018, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
I had to set the tire size to an incorrect value to get the speedo correct. I don't care much for the AEV 'interface', but it works and it's accurate.
It is actually an incorrect value? I have 35's but they actually measured 33 9/16". I had to set the tire size in my SC unit to 33.6" and my speedo is perfect.

I went with the SC because of ease of use, also in my research I found somewhere that there are more option/adjustments that can be made with SC vs AEV.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

agreed the AEV interface is archaic. however, it's a proven unit with some features that other manufacturers don't have.

the last time i researched, Bully and AEV were the only ones that could alter the TPMS threshold. IMO that's much safer than simply disabling it completely or ignoring the light since it's always on. the AEV can also disable the Rubicon's electronic sway bar disco feature if you want to replace the motor with a manual control from Evo or JKS, or ditch the entire thing. it can adjust for axle gearing and tire size like most other units - but it can also handle transfer case gearing (putting a Rubi t-case in a regular JK or swapping in an Atlas for example).

based on those features and the fact that i'll likely only need to interact with it a few times over the entire life of the Jeep, i ordered the AEV myself.

Last edited by theksmith; 02-13-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wuebben.2 View Post
It is actually an incorrect value? I have 35's but they actually measured 33 9/16". I had to set the tire size in my SC unit to 33.6" and my speedo is perfect.

I went with the SC because of ease of use, also in my research I found somewhere that there are more option/adjustments that can be made with SC vs AEV.
Yes. An incorrect value. I had to set the tire diameter to a value that differed from the actual diameter (measured value) to get the speedo to report accurate speeds. I don't remember the value because that's been a couple years ago.