Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some opinions on lift kits

Old 12-11-2018, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some opinions on lift kits

I’m looking at getting a 2in lift kit but I can’t decide between an old man emu or rubico express. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

No experience with RE coils, but if you choose OME, do yourself a favor and look past the 2" part. Spend a little time researching the specific coil rates. Their 2" Heavy Duty coils will give closer to 3.25-3.5" of actual lift and ride fairly rough on a relatively stock jeep. So unless you plan on loading it down, look at the medium and light duty selections that will give less height and a better ride.

Also look at what parts, if any, are included with each kit. Just shocks and coils? Any provision to recenter the axles? Correct the caster? Bumpstops? Brackets for the brake lines? Most of the extras may not be needed at 2", but it's good to have an idea of what they all do ... just so you know what they all do...
The following users liked this post:
eric71 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Are you just wanting to get a little extra lift for appearance purposes? One problem with springs is what nthinuf mentioned above......more often than not they net more than the stated lift. It all depends on the weight/mods of the specific jeep. This might not sound like a huge deal, but if you're wanting 2" and end up netting something like 3 to 3.5" instead, you start getting in to a whole host of other issues that need to be addressed (just like if you were actually doing a 3.5" lift). If you are just wanting an extra couple inches, mainly for appearances, you might take a look at just doing a budget boost with some pucks on top of the factory springs. Would be cheaper, and there wouldn't be any question how much additional actual lift you're adding. Just a thought. Really just depends on how you use your jeep, or plan to use it in the future.
eric71 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

From your choices I would do the OME in the no load coils or light duty. They ride nice with their Nitro Sport shocks.
eric71 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by eric71
I’m looking at getting a 2in lift kit but I can’t decide between an old man emu or rubico express. Any opinions would be appreciated.
We can all throw recommendations at you but those recommendations will only be based off of our own personal use cases. You really need to outline what you would like to achieve from the lift and your budget range. Just based on your 2 options you listed I'ld go with Dirtman's suggestion of OME but I'll mention he already made a highly likely assumption for you in that you're looking for a lift which will best maintain good on road ride quality, while not the best if your preference was to load your Jeep up with more weight. OME makes springs for their lifts which will provide either.

I'ld suggest start by reading the stickied discussion threads, so you can better ask your question and decide what your preferences are for a lift.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
eric71 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The OME light coils will handle some weight like bumpers and a winch if you are not over doing it. I woudl say they would be good for adding around 400-500 pounds of additional weoght before worroying about going below the 2" lift height. If you want o do bumpers, winch, slider, cornor armor, full under skids, dual battery, and some heavy tires hanging off a tire carrier look into the HD coils, if you are going to overland it and add addtonital gear for that they make a HD+40 coil.

Like said by bedroll, what you are looking out of your set up is importanct in choosing the right components. That red link in my sig is a good place to look for set up info.
eric71 (12-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Need some opinions on lift kits