Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some opinions..."Rubicon" or "X"

Old 10-05-2006, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some opinions..."Rubicon" or "X"

I've decided to buy an Unlimited, but can't decide if I should just go out and buy an X, or order a Rubicon. No doubt this will be for some serious offroading here in Arizona. I just sold my 1996 H1, so if I order a Rubicon, I'm missing out on some nice four wheelin time while I wait (who knows how long) for it to arrive. On the other hand, if I buy an X that's in stock, it will require more modifications to get it 'trail worthy". No matter what I buy, it will be getting at least a 3" lift with 35's....preferably a 4" or 5" lift with 37's.
Having the E-Lockers and Dana front and rear makes the Rubicon very appealing, but there are (or will be) plenty of aftermarket stuff coming out to modify an X. Either way, I plan on taking the vehicle to a local off-road company that knows what the heck thier doing as apposed to me doing the modifications myself.
Basically, I'm trying to justify why I should go through the waiting period for the Rubicon if I can "build up" an X and end up with the same thing (minus the electronic sway bar disconnect). Six months down the road, I don't want to be saying to myself 'I should have waited for the Rubicon".

So....which one???

Rubicon:
Order one at dealer cost.
Add a lift, tires, wheels, lower gears, driveshafts, bumpers, etc...

X:
Find one in stock at a dealer and "hopefully" pay less than MSRP.
Add the same things as the Rubicon...plus a Dana 44 in the front and be sure
I'm fully locked at all four corners.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I depends on the extent you want to modify your X. If you will be regearing the Rubicon then the 4.10s don't make a difference. If you want to upgrade the axles in the X to something comparable to the Rubicon, or will you be upgradint those in the Rubicon anyway. Are you satisfied with the Rubicon lockers, or will you require a somewhat more robust Detroit locker, or similar? It probably comes down to the transfer case. Will you stick with the 4:1, or will you replace that also? Can you live with the 2.72? It doesn't sound like money is an issue, at least not until you get into the aftermarket upgrades.

If you can keep the Rubicon t-case axles, and lockers, you will definitely save money with the Rubicon. Not to mention $20 for the Rubicon logo sticker if you have to buy an X!!

As much trouble as I had picking a color, I'm not sure I'll be much help. For me, though, the cost of the Rubicon was worth it because of the turnkey package savings over slowly building a trail rig piecemail. For my needs, the Rubicon axles and lockers will be plenty. I will probably regear when I lift it, but that's about it.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

i has the same thaughts.

the lockers from what i have read are not rebuildable,

you can get a D44 rear end for 270 bucks more...

so your paying 6,000 more for a front D44 and Transfer case? i cant see how thats worth it....

even if i got the ruby, the 32's would be off before the nubs were worn off,bumpers and everything else would be gone....
Old 10-05-2006, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

X model is e command-trac nv241
rubi is rock-trac nv241
2.72:1 is command trac
4.0:1 is rock trac

so its the same transfer case? just a different ratio?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I calculate $4600 difference, once you even out the rest of the options, such as 4.1s, premium speakers, consoles, etc
Old 10-06-2006, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks

Well.....I did it. Just ordered a 4-door Rubicon, auto trans, freedom top, power conv. group, white, gray interior. Now the wait begins. No doubt I will be keeping an eye out for what to do once I get it. My plan is bumpers, 4" lift, 37" meats, upgrade the driveshafts, etc....
Thanks to all who responded to my question. I feel like I just joined a new family. After driving a HUMMER H1 for 10 years, this will be a whole new driving experience.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ordered my Rubicon Unlimited about 2-1/2 weeks ago, have about 4-5 weeks to go. I think you guys are dead on with 35" meats minimum, I can't decide on a tire though. It has to be a radial as this is going to be my daily driver which will unfortunately see 20-25 miles of highway almost daily for work. I don't want a tire too loud on the highway or the wife will complain, yet don't want to sacrifice traction off-road. ProComp Xterrain? BF Goodrich Krawler T/A?, Mud TA. I plan to put them on Mickey Thompson Classic Beadlocks 17".

As for the transmission, I think you made a mistake with the tranny selection and I HIGHLY encourage you to switch your order to a 6-speed before it's too late. Doubt me? Then go to a dealer and test drive an auto, then a 6-speed. You'll find the 6-speed is less frustrating on the road as you can hold whatever gear you wish to keep the RPMs up and have power available. With the auto, you're either going to be constantly shifting it to keep it in the gear you want (why not have a manual), or you're going to get frustrated over the 3.8L slug under the hood. Trust me, TEST DRIVE BOTH quickly, then change your order if you agree.

Trying to help a Jeep bro!

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 10-08-2006, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

I too must make this decision (X with S package & a few options VS Rubicon).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume from what I have read in this topic that for approximately $4000.00 more I get, polished aluminum wheels, off road tires, rock sliders, electric front sway bar disconnect, Dana 44 in front, electric lockers front & rear, skid plate, Rubicon stickers, YES cloth seats ?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Why is everyone talking about modding them so soon i mean wouldnt lifting and different tires void the factory warranty making it so if any recalls or anything wrong happened u would have to pay for it????. maybe i'm wrong about that assumption.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

I plan to put them on Mickey Thompson Classic Beadlocks 17".

Spud.....At this time MT Classic Beadlocks don't come in 5x5 17's. I wanted them too and settled for American Racing wheels to fit my Parnelli Jones 35's.

My Steel Blue 4dr 6sp Rubi,came in Friday, ordered 7/12, and I LOVE it. Busy weekend for me but I will get pic's as sonn as time allows.

Congrats Spud............YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Quick Reply: Need some opinions..."Rubicon" or "X"