Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a suggestion

Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a suggestion

About six months ago I purchased a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and a few months later I lifted it 3" and put on 35's. Absolutely love it and am thrilled with its on and off road drivability for a low-end/medium kit (Zone Offroad Kit w/ Nitro shocks, front & rear track bars). I wanted to get it lifted asap when I bought it as I don't plan to off-road it at all this winter and I'll buy a fully comprehensive ($4k+) kit in Spring 2018. At that point I'll have about $10k to play with. Anyhow, this is besides the point, lol.

My girlfriend has always loved Jeeps and loves mine and wanted to drive mine all the time, so she finally cracked and bought a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited last week and she's super excited to lift hers.

So what I need suggestions on is:
-I want to get her a 2" lift and put her up on 35"s as well. She's a tiny little thing, and even my measly 3" lift she has to climb into like a tractor. So I feel that 2" will be perfect for her. Anyhow, she won't be wheeling her Jeep any more than a dirt trail here or there so she doesn't need anything very comprehensive, I want something that will give her good highway/street drivability similar to stock and more so on the lower end of the price totem pole. I'm going to add front and rear track bars with whatever basic lift kit I end up getting.

Any advice would help. Thanks fam.

-Matt
The following users liked this post:
FarFromStock (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Just put some flat fenders and the 35's. No need to lift. Put that money into gears for it. You are doing the lift for looks and flat fenders will make the jeep look like it has a 4" lift. At most with flats throw a 3/4" spacer puck up front. It will stay low ride better and she can climb in easier.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDirtman:
FarFromStock (01-04-2018), Mlord (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Just put some flat fenders and the 35's. No need to lift. Put that money into gears for it. You are doing the lift for looks and flat fenders will make the jeep look like it has a 4" lift. At most with flats throw a 3/4" spacer puck up front. It will stay low ride better and she can climb in easier.
X2

My wife is barely 5 foot, I went fenderless for a while with 35's but now I have flats. It looks like a 3-4" lift. I can get some pictures after work if you'd like today.

I do some little/moderate off roading and it does fine

Last edited by Wuebben.2; 01-04-2018 at 07:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wuebben.2:
FarFromStock (01-04-2018), Mlord (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for starting this thread @Mlord. We just bought my wife a 2017 Rubicon and she's pretty short too. She already has trouble climbing in with the stock height and no runningboards. She's wanting the look of being lifted, so maybe the flat fenders and 35's would be a great option for her.
Mlord (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I did think about that, and it's a good idea if I can talk her into it. But besides aesthetics she wants it lifted because she likes to be higher up when she drives, makes her feel safe. Must be a little girl type thing, but she is def pretty set on a lift.

@Wuebben.2 : I would def be interested to see pics of that set-up when you have time. I'll show it to her and see what she says.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I'm with Dirtman on this one......but if you must go higher, I'd stick with just a budget boost (pucks). There's no reason to spend a ton on suspension parts if you're not going to get any benefit from it. Cheap budget boost and readjust caster.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlord
@Wuebben.2 : I would def be interested to see pics of that set-up when you have time. I'll show it to her and see what she says.
The first picture is with stock fenders and 35's, they rubbed going over speed bumps. The second is with the flat fenders. Both are 35x12.5R17 on stock wheels with 1.25" spacers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo287.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	698.8 KB
ID:	676917   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo135.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	676918  
Mlord (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

2" budget boost...super easy to install or leveling kit with a 1" body lift with flat fenders. I did all 3 when I first bought my 2013 JKU, drove perfectly. Gears will definitely help with the larger tires. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

duplicate post

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-04-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 01-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'm with Dirtman on this one......but if you must go higher, I'd stick with just a budget boost (pucks). There's no reason to spend a ton on suspension parts if you're not going to get any benefit from it. Cheap budget boost and readjust caster.
Well......we can't all go along with what Dirtman says, because that would just be boring. So let me play devil's advocate.

F flat fenders!!! For the cost of flat fenders, you could invest in a decent lift, but let's maintain Dirtman's premise in going along that route. Put a body lift on instead of going with flat fenders. You still maintain stock suspension geometry, but instead of getting rid of the fender edges as suggested by going with flats, you're raising the bottom of those fender edges thus netting the same result....but at a much more reduced cost.

Mlord (01-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Need a suggestion