Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a suggestion

Old 01-04-2018, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll

F flat fenders!!! For the cost of flat fenders, you could invest in a decent lift, but let's maintain Dirtman's premise in going along that route. Put a body lift on instead of going with flat fenders.
I Also love playing devils advocate ? just did a quick search and I also think you have to keep in mind how much additional wheel travel you get for the price
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo189.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	676919   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo267.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	676920   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo565.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	676921   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo922.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	676922  
The following users liked this post:
Mlord (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Holy moly, we went from flat fenders and no lift....to body lift suggestions. Lets hold it right there.

Scale:
-Snap-on tools

-well pieced together lift

-flat fenders

-budget boost

-homemade lift

-Rough Country anything

- McDonald's food

-Harbor freight welder

- Ramen Noodles
-Overcooked chicken
-Microwaved bacon

-Body lift

-Hitler

OP: I have a set of brand new .75" front coil spacers I ended up not needing when I tweaked my lift. They're still new in box and I'm about 15 minutes from you in McLean...let me know if you'd want them.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feeling safe and being safe are obviously two different things. Lifting your Jeep increases your chance of rollover

Dirtman's advice is solid.

If she doesn't like flatties, then a budget lift(pucks) is another option. Go with a lower one like a leveling kit or 2". You can always add a body lift later if she wants to be higher.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I don't mind Rednroll's contrarian commentary as much as some. We don't all have to agree, and differing opinions can be nice as they make you thinking through things for yourself. I suggested budget boost if Dirtman's spacer puck wasn't gonna give her enough lift....just from the standpoint that there's no reason to pay much for a suspension that you're not gonna benefit from. $300 or what not to through a 2-2.5" budget boost on it gives her the desired height, can fit a 35 just fine, and can leave fenders alone. Adjust caster with $100 drop brackets, done.

IMO, body lifts look dumb, but that's all subjective.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, thanks for all of the responses. Gives me great direction to start with.

@Wuebben.2, thanks for digging up those pics, it actually looks really nice with spacers and flats, but I'm not sure she wants to replace her stock fenders since they are paint matched and the Jeep is her fav color, Purrrp. I appreciate you doing a little retail research, I've looked at a few sites and its funny you mentioned the Rough Country 2.5" Lift-kit w/ shocks. I'm ready to put up to $1500 into her suspension. So that $379 for that RC kit and some track bars is a growing possibility.

@BoraBora, I'm happy to see different suggestions, this isn't necessarily about the money going in, I just know her Jeep is going to be an aesthetic 98.9% highway driver. I also appreciate the offer for the coil spacers, I will run it by her and see if she bites. But regardless, nice to hear you're a fellow VA Jeeper.

@Everyone, great conversation and I appreciate all of the good opinions. I do like the idea of just a 2.5" body lift/spacer to get her the height she wants. She's not going to take less than 2"-2.5". Like I said previously she's an adorable tiny 5-footer that wants to feel like she's as high as F150's. My question is, to obtain that 2"-2.5" lift, for drivability sake, how does a body lift/spacer compare to a minimal kit like the RC 2.5" w/ shocks?

Kindly,

-Matt
Old 01-05-2018, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

don't forget that when you throw 35's on there the jeep gets taller... so tell her that its a... pneumatic lift or something like that...
Mlord (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure there are people that will tell me I'm wrong...but I'm not sure I could live with myself if you went with the RC lift based on my recommendation lol.

I was just trying to debate and play devils advocate.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wuebben.2
I'm sure there are people that will tell me I'm wrong...but I'm not sure I could live with myself if you went with the RC lift based on my recommendation lol.

I was just trying to debate and play devils advocate.
True, the more I think about it, @chemlight_ninja has a good point in that she'll receive a lift with just adding the 35"s. So I see your point, budget boost, body/spacer lift and call it a day. Still think aftermarket front & rear track bars are worth adding? Or go with the brackets? Or leave as is?

*any of that $1500 I set aside for her lift that is left over is going into daddies spring budget hahaha
Old 01-05-2018, 05:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlord
. Still think aftermarket front & rear track bars are worth adding? Or go with the brackets? Or leave as is?
2-2.5" lift probably gonna shift those axles 1/4" or so. Rear should be solved with a raised rear TB bracket which should get you close to center again. I'd add a front TB myself, but there are people that just stick with the factory out there and it doesn't bother them.

Add geo brackets too to raise the caster back up above 4*.
Mlord (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuebben.2
I Also love playing devils advocate ? just did a quick search and I also think you have to keep in mind how much additional wheel travel you get for the price
Originally Posted by resharp001
I don't mind Rednroll's contrarian commentary as much as some. We don't all have to agree, and differing opinions can be nice as they make you thinking through things for yourself.
And that was my whole premise on suggesting the BL, just to expand the options in the conversation. Flats are a great suggestion but not everyone likes flats, myself included.

I already know who the couple clowns are on this forum who have bad cases of SPS and like to troll me. I'm the one who decides if I choose to feed them or not. Their response wasn't even remotely witty, so I decided no doggy bisket this time around.

Quick Reply: Need a suggestion