Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never Owned Beadlocks Questions ? ?

Old 05-14-2017, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never Owned Beadlocks Questions ? ?

Quick Specs: 2014 JK Rubicon, 2 Door, 4.10s, 6 speed, About 2" lift.

Hey guys, so i am going to be running 17" ATX Slabs and either running 35 x 12.5 17s or 315 x 70 x 17s Trail Grapplers. I am going to be running TPS sensors in the new tires also. So here is my question... what should i do about balancing my tires? Should i run balancing beads, and if so is it possible that they can damage the tps sensors? Or should i just take my jeep up to the local tire shop and have them balance my tires? Anyway.. i know there is a lot of you out there that run beadlocks... any advice would be helpful.. Thanks
Old 05-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm running 37" Ridge Grapplers on Slabs, and honestly didn't even balance them. They run out good with no shimmy. My experience with the Trail Grapplers are that they generally don't need much weight either. I would just mount them up and drive it. If it needs some, just throw on some stick ons on the inside.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Not everyone will even look at beadlock wheels if you do decide to get a traditional balance. The beads are a funny thing. If you follow people long enough then you'll find that the beads are great until they aren't and those people usually end up going back to a traditional balance.

That being said- I've got a friend with locks and 37's- no balance but the truck feels fine so why run out for a balance just yet?
Old 05-14-2017, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I'm running 37" Ridge Grapplers on Slabs, and honestly didn't even balance them. They run out good with no shimmy. My experience with the Trail Grapplers are that they generally don't need much weight either. I would just mount them up and drive it. If it needs some, just throw on some stick ons on the inside.
Any issue with the Slabs? Do they hold air pretty well? Any leaks?
Old 05-14-2017, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Not everyone will even look at beadlock wheels if you do decide to get a traditional balance. The beads are a funny thing. If you follow people long enough then you'll find that the beads are great until they aren't and those people usually end up going back to a traditional balance.

That being said- I've got a friend with locks and 37's- no balance but the truck feels fine so why run out for a balance just yet?
Idk... thats why im asking. If i don't have to balance them then that is even better.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I run slabs and have had KM2s and KO2s on at this point. I've had both balanced and they took very little weight (stick on type) and run smoothly past 80mph.

Also, on your question of holding air. Mine have never had a problem holding air. I do make sure to torque them properly during install, then torque after 100 miles or so, and check torque at every oil change. FWIW, after the 100 mile check I've never found them to be out of torque spec.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
I run slabs and have had KM2s and KO2s on at this point. I've had both balanced and they took very little weight (stick on type) and run smoothly past 80mph.

Also, on your question of holding air. Mine have never had a problem holding air. I do make sure to torque them properly during install, then torque after 100 miles or so, and check torque at every oil change. FWIW, after the 100 mile check I've never found them to be out of torque spec.
How did you balance them?
Old 05-14-2017, 05:37 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save yourself the future headaches and just get the traditional stick-on weights.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
Any issue with the Slabs? Do they hold air pretty well? Any leaks?
They hold air great. No noticeable leaking. As mentioned, check the torque after you install them and drive it some, and recheck every oil change.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:41 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We don't use ATX beak locks unless a customer specifically requests them, but they're a good rim and behave similarly to the Trail Ready and BAD wheels we specialize in. We do deal nearly exclusively in Nittos and as previous posters have said at least 75% of the time they don't even need any weights, maybe even better odds for the new Ridge Grappler, it's actually pretty remarkable.

If you do have one that needs weight, it won't need much, and stick on weights are just fine. Just make sure you deal with a shop familiar on the ins and outs of bead locks and you'll be well taken care of by the wheel/tire combo you have planned.

Quick Reply: Never Owned Beadlocks Questions ? ?