JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   New AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension Lift Question (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/new-aev-2-5-dualsport-xt-suspension-lift-question-218616/)

blang816 02-15-2012 07:58 AM

New AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension Lift Question

So AEV just announced the release of their new JK DualSport XT 2.5" lift. Seems like a really good price, especially from AEV. But I have questions.

They seem to only be modifying and replacing the rear trackbar. I talked with someone the other day about getting the new JKS 2" lift and there suggestion was that I needed to replace the front trackbar and front control arms and not worry about anything in the rear.

I called AEV, and to answer the control arm issue they siad the factory ones are fine and long enough and that it was sort of a fad carried over from the TJ to replace them. As far as the trackbar issue, they said they have ex-Jeep engineers that work for them and that if they thought something needed to be done than they would have done it.

So my main question is, on a 2"-2.5" lift why am I getting different stories on replacing the front trackbar from one person and to change the rear from the other. Frankly I trust AEV a lot since they do work closely with Jeep, but I wanted to reach out to you all about it.

Moe.JKU 02-15-2012 08:05 AM

I think you just intall the ones on the rear and the rear trackbars you take out you put up front. I heard this on other threads.:dontknow2:

jboss 02-15-2012 08:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Moe.JKU (Post 2850932)
I think you just intall the ones on the rear and the rear trackbars you take out you put up front. I heard this on other threads.:dontknow2:

NO you do not use a rear track bar up front.

Attachment 278426
Here is what AEV said:

As you can see the trackbar only changes about 1/4", not enough to make any difference in the suspension performance at all. No need for an aftermarket trackbar or need to relocate the hole.

preyes44 02-15-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Moe.JKU (Post 2850932)

No you def dont do that, they arent even the same shape. You might thinking of sway bar links.....You wont need a new front trackbar for a 2-2.5" lift

blang816 02-15-2012 07:29 PM

Uh yeah, no moving rear track bar to front! He must be thinking of moving the front sway bar links to the rear.

Anyone else have any other reason or counters to what I think is illustrated well above.

bad1chad 02-15-2012 08:41 PM

There is a great FAQ page for the new 2.5" lift, on the AEV website that answers most questions.
Here's AEV's answer to the following question:

"Why don’t you supply adjustable track-bars with your DualSport Suspension Systems?"

Answer:
As with the control arms, the number one reason is because the original parts are perfectly fine and nothing about lifting the JK dictates that they need to be replaced. But there’s more: we feel that track bars are so critical that they represent a greater safety concern from failures than any other item (control arms, shocks, etc.) in most suspension designs. This is why we have chosen to retain the OE forged components.

Hope it helps...This kit is exactly what I wanted. At a great price, If my wife wasn't pregnant I would have ordered this as soon as I got the email about it, but instead I'm going crib and stroller shopping...Good times!

aldaman 02-15-2012 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by blang816 (Post 2850913)
So AEV just announced the release of their new JK DualSport XT 2.5" lift. Seems like a really good price, especially from AEV. But I have questions............I called AEV, and to answer the control arm issue they siad the factory ones are fine and long enough and that it was sort of a fad carried over from the TJ to replace them. As far as the trackbar issue, they said they have ex-Jeep engineers that work for them and that if they thought something needed to be done than they would have done it........So my main question is, on a 2"-2.5" lift why am I getting different stories on replacing the front trackbar from one person and to change the rear from the other. Frankly I trust AEV a lot since they do work closely with Jeep, but I wanted to reach out to you all about it.

..... As previously mentioned with that much lift the front axle shifts 1/4". An adjustable track bar is not needed. But others, including myself opted to get an adjustable front track bar when I installed my lift so that aesthetically i can center my front axle to have that even look. For others it isnt that much of an isssue/big deal....As for the control arms - there are some lift kits out there that advertises 2.5" lift but actually net more then that ~ 3" with that much lift some JKs have handling issues, because the castor specs have changed. The Jeep feels flighty while driving at high speeds. Therefore to get back the stock handling an aftermarket front lower adjustable control arms are installed....

jboss 02-16-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by aldaman (Post 2852606)
..... As previously mentioned with that much lift the front axle shifts 1/4". An adjustable track bar is not needed. But others, including myself opted to get an adjustable front track bar when I installed my lift so that aesthetically i can center my front axle to have that even look. For others it isnt that much of an isssue/big deal....As for the control arms - there are some lift kits out there that advertises 2.5" lift but actually net more then that ~ 3" with that much lift some JKs have handling issues, because the castor specs have changed. The Jeep feels flighty while driving at high speeds. Therefore to get back the stock handling an aftermarket front lower adjustable control arms are installed....

But you are only moving the axle an 1/4" buy getting a adjustable track bar. Worth it ? Needed ? I think not.
Most people on here probably only have there adjustable track bars adjusted within a 1/4 to 1/8 anyways.

aldaman 02-16-2012 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by jboss (Post 2853162)
But you are only moving the axle an 1/4" buy getting a adjustable track bar. Worth it ? Needed ? I think not.
Most people on here probably only have there adjustable track bars adjusted within a 1/4 to 1/8 anyways.

True, but like what I mentioned in my post, I chose to install one for aesthetic reasons...I wanted my front axle centered so that I have that perfect balance between how far my passenger & drivers side tires stick out from the fenders rather than one being farther off then the other....Thanks....

Moe.JKU 02-16-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by preyes44 (Post 2851165)
No you def dont do that, they arent even the same shape. You might thinking of sway bar links.....You wont need a new front trackbar for a 2-2.5" lift

lol yup that is what i read. got the two mixed up now that i look at the thread. sry for bad info:doh: still really new to mods and trying to learn.